What are you listening to this week?

I just spent a week on vacation with my brother who taught me the chords to this:

And we may be doing these in class:

Understand we are learning the chords and form. My solos will amount to eighth note arpeggios at best.

Puss N Boots - No Fools, No Fun
(Sasha Dobson, Catherine Popper, and Norah Jones)
PussNBoots_NoFoolsNoFun_cover.jpg

Selwyn Birchwood - Don't Call No Ambulance
The next generation of bluesmen is here. This guy can write, play and sings like someone twice his age.
tumblr_n76pnmHFt81qc3d25o1_1280.jpg

For some reason I've been listening to CoB the last couple of days.

I like the music but still don't really care for Alexi's vocal style

It has all gone terribly wrong! All of my music is on the computer thingy which plugs into speakers via an amplificator. Said amplificator is almost forty years old and has just given up the ghost; I am forced, if I want to hear music, to listen to my own gruesome playing. Aaaarrrggggghhhh!
Still this, but I'm beginning to enjoy it. If I become desperate for music I can always use headphones, but seem to be surviving just fine.

Tool - Lateralus

I've always liked them, but they remind me of Tori Amos as they have convey a very unique and maybe specific mood with their music (which varies with the albums/songs), but they aren't really a casual listening experience. My leaning for a the past few years has been away from epic and heavy stuff in general and acoustic-based stuff is often front and center. Further, heavy guitar stuff hasn't been occupying my ears, if it is it's about the tunes. With Tool it's still about the tunes, but the guitar is electric and fucking HUGE. The bass is stellar tone wise as well and Maynard's pipes are mind blowing. Oh yeah, the drummer doesn't suck either. A very powerful band that I'll be listening to more of.

Schism struck me as something that would sound particularly cool as an orchestral arrangement and I found one here:

It's clearly DAW-based, but it starts the mind thinking. A full live symphonic version would be quite cool me thinks.

I just bought this on Amazon with the Auto Rip added:
51qGLoU0tlL._SY300__PJautoripBadge,BottomRight,4,-40_OU11__.jpg

It has five cuts from his early Hickory Records (in the US) recordings, including his version of Buffy St. Marie's Co'dine and Universal Soldier. It then covers from Sunshine Superman through Cosmic Wheels and (I think, if memory serves correctly) beyond. Altogether, there are 44 tracks, and a good career retrospective. I also ordered a Melanie Greatest Hits disc, but that didn't include the download.

I just bought this on Amazon with the Auto Rip added:
51qGLoU0tlL._SY300__PJautoripBadge,BottomRight,4,-40_OU11__.jpg

It has five cuts from his early Hickory Records (in the US) recordings, including his version of Buffy St. Marie's Co'dine and Universal Soldier. It then covers from Sunshine Superman through Cosmic Wheels and (I think, if memory serves correctly) beyond. Altogether, there are 44 tracks, and a good career retrospective. I also ordered a Melanie Greatest Hits disc, but that didn't include the download.

I bought that collection probably a decade or so ago. It's an amazing musical journey from him do tradition tunes to Barabajagal and just becoming Donovan as we know him. The tune Barabajagal is like the blue print for Led Zeppelin in my mind and that's far from a slight to either artist/band. My dad raised us right musically speaking. He laid an amazing foundation of music appreciation and he still finds new stuff to enjoy as he nears 70.

Love is hot, love is hot. Truth is MOLTEN!

I bought that collection probably a decade or so ago. It's an amazing musical journey from him do tradition tunes to Barabajagal and just becoming Donovan as we know him. The tune Barabajagal is like the blue print for Led Zeppelin in my mind and that's far from a slight to either artist/band. My dad raised us right musically speaking. He laid an amazing foundation of music appreciation and he still finds new stuff to enjoy as he nears 70.

Love is hot, love is hot. Truth is MOLTEN!
There is quite a variety of music on this disc. I am listening the song "Breezes of Patchouli" and realizing how close it sounds to his song, "Celeste", while it also sounds different enough. Interesting. And yes, the disc description states "...Hurdy Gurdy Man" (the latter features three-quarters of what was to become Led Zeppelin providing stellar support).

I've been on a bit of an acoutsic/Travis picking binge lately and listening to a lot of Tommy Emmanuel. I'm about ready to put my guitar in its case for good.

After going to see Beck last night, I am listening to the opening band, The Ghost of a Saber Tooth Tiger.

This morning started with some of the Toad the Wet Sprocket I was listening to on the way home last night, but then I put St. Vincent's self-title album. It's just an excellent album.

More new stuff :)

Threshold: think Dream Theater but with emphasis on the song instead of instrumental prowress

…and Eluveitie: awesome folksy death metal, complete with hurdy gurdy, fiddles, and flutes/pipes

killer fiddle solo:

Chevelle's new album. I'm not a fan of most new stuff, but they have won me over.

Reactions: Tig
Back