What are you listening to this week?

Black Debbath's new album "Universell Riffsynsing".

For the non-Norwegians in here, these guys are fucking brilliant. Musically a cross between 70's Sabbath and newer Mastodon with hilarious lyrics (often political in nature).
Singer spookily reminding of 70's Ozzy.
A few of the titles from the new one translate as "Have you paid for this song?", "Remove tax on rotten fruit", "Pension ballad", "Hungry" and "To hell with the Munch Museum". One would think this band would be just a humour schtick thing, if it wasn't for them being a kickass band with great music.

First single from the new one:

Really digging the new Death From Above 1979 album.

Also, went to see these guys on Tuesday night, so I've been listening to their catalog.

Also, Audrey Hornes latest. Been a fan for years now. As one who hates modern metal, it's refreshing with bands like these. :wink:
Derivative? Probably. But I couldn't give a shit. It rocks.

For the non-Norwegians in here, these guys are fucking brilliant. Musically a cross between 70's Sabbath and newer Mastodon with hilarious lyrics (often political in nature).
A few of the titles from the new one translate as "Have you paid for this song?", "Remove tax on rotten fruit", "Pension ballad", "Hungry" and "To hell with the Munch Museum". One would think this band would be just a humour schtick thing, if it wasn't for them being a kickass band with great music.

For the non-Norwegians in here, I suspect you won't understand a word they are singing.

I liked the music, but the singing not being in English put me off a bit. Alcest (French lyrics) doesn't bother me, and I like a few of the pagan metal bands that sing in Finnish/olde celtic/whatever, so it's not like I 'need' to hear English.

Speaking of Norwegian music, Jorn Lande & Trond Holter :rawk:

I liked the music, but the singing not being in English put me off a bit. Alcest (French lyrics) doesn't bother me, and I like a few of the pagan metal bands that sing in Finnish/olde celtic/whatever, so it's not like I 'need' to hear English.

Speaking of Norwegian music, Jorn Lande & Trond Holter :rawk:

Jørn's a great singer. Wish he'd stop the Coverdale imitation thing though. It's gotten a bit "old" for me. :embarrassed:

As for Holter...he's responsible for one of the worst Eurovision songs in history. :grin:

Last edited:
Also listening to the Haken ep.

I need to order a physical copy from their website. It's the only place to get a cd, everywhere else is download only :(

Haken = best new band 2010+ :embarrassed:

Saw The Whigs open for DBT around '08 maybe. Mission Control is a great album. Haven't heard any others though.

I like their first three a lot. Mission Control was their second, and probably my favorite. The most recent one has some really good songs on it, but the production falls pretty flat, IMO.

1413829211_sean-costello-in-the-magic-shop-2014.jpg

Postumous release from Sean Costello. I just started getting into him and I love this album.

Listening to Sean is one of the main reasons I got back into guitar 7 years ago.
I highly recommend Sean's Blues: A Memorial Retrospective. I don't think there are any song overlaps with In The Magic Shop. It is even more enjoyable, too.

Samples:
http://www.amazon.com/Seans-Blues-Sean-Costello/dp/B002KD0OLU/

61cfBXXN-QL._SY355_.jpg

For itunes:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/seans-blues-memorial-retrospective/id331537402

Lots of Devin Townsend. I found a used copy of Sex and Religion years ago now (years fly by too fast!). I recently stumbled upon him playing for EMG.

So I did some research, & it turns out that the cat in this pic had just heard DT for the first time!
:shocked:

!

I can not fecking wait until this album's finally out. Going to be a few very long weeks....:embarrassed:
The little I've heard from the studio documentary videos Steven has posted sounds bloody brilliant.

This tune's quite surprisingly accessible for him btw.

Back