What are you guys wokring on this week?

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
I should be working on my jazz repertoire but I've been a little overwhelmed with things this week at work.

I'm sitting in with band next week and have been putting off "learning" their tunes. It's folky stuff and they want me to play resonator.

I also have a few songs I need to finish up writing.

I am just putting in time really making sure that I have ample practice before my trip next week nothing new just trying to minimize errors (since I am never going to eliminate them)

I would love to play some of the Mali stuff that Derek Gripper is playing but it is out of my league. It certainly is beautiful music

Not anything specific, just not getting rustier.

In the past few weeks I was working on playing the keys solo from Amorphis' "Black Winter Day" on guitar.
Although pretty much everything is technically demanding compared to my rusty abilities, it is generally not a technically demanding solo.
I had tabs, but I re-fingered the notes according to what was easier for me to make it sound right (which wasn't always the easiest fingering to finger).
I found myself dwelling on things like which fingering is actually easier to make sound right, and if a certain note should be picked or hammered from nowhere.

I guess a better arrangement could be made, and I'm sure there's room for improvement in my performance, but antway it's on YouTube now

Back