What are the most important factors in choosing a guitar?

Sure, but if you spent 15 hours with it, and making a conscious effort on making adjustments to suit the instrument, would you still feel the same way?
My Tokai strat was in many ways the perfect "vintage" strat - kind of like you found a '58 strat new in the box in 1979. I bought it in 1986 1st owner. I ALWAYS struggled with that neck, no matter who set it up. New neck on it now and I love playing it.

It all boils down to the following for me:
  1. Feel of the instrument
  2. Resonance of the instrument
  3. Playability
  4. Full tonal spectrum
  5. Easy access to instrument controls
Things that really do not matter much to me:
  1. I do not so much care about the type of woods used; if it is right then it is right
  2. For Electrics: I am not concerned with the stock Pickups and how they sound. Nor am I concerned with their electronics. I can change that stuff easy peasy
Why do you ask that I do not care about the pickups or electronics?
  1. When I buy an electric there is a very high probability that I will never actually plug it in because I am only looking for the feel, playability and resonance of the instrument.

I can't imagine an instrument that's too difficult to play that doesn't meet the previous criteria.
I've played vintage instruments that I really dig the sound of but are a struggle for me to play on.
Sure, but if you spent 15 hours with it, and making a conscious effort on making adjustments to suit the instrument, would you still feel the same way?
Wouldn't you rather spend 15 hours playing an instrument that you enjoy playing? I know I would.

Life is way too short to waste your time playing on shitty gear.

In the wise words of a good friend: "It does not have to be good to be Classic Rock"

I'm not talking about shitty instruments. I'm talking about really good, high-quality instruments that you haven't learned how to make the most out of.

Most people would struggle at first with most new string instruments - whether it's a viola, a square neck guitar, a mandolin, a banjo, etc. I don't understand why people are so resistant to a learning curve.

You ask why? Because different kinds of guitars sound different ways. You can't expect to pick up a classical or a Selmer-style and expect to sound like John Williams or Django. Ditto for any style, even if it's more subtle.

I'm not talking about shitty instruments. I'm talking about really good, high-quality instruments that you haven't learned how to make the most out of.

Most people would struggle at first with most new string instruments - whether it's a viola, a square neck guitar, a mandolin, a banjo, etc. I don't understand why people are so resistant to a learning curve.

You ask why? Because different kinds of guitars sound different ways. You can't expect to pick up a classical or a Selmer-style and expect to sound like John Williams or Django. Ditto for any style, even if it's more subtle.

This wasn't posted in the acoustic section :embarrassed:

I am talking about electric guitars. I love the challenge of a new instrument, which I why I bought a mandolin and why I want to buy a banjo. Why fight an electric when you can get just about any sound you can want from any of the millions out there?

This wasn't posted in the acoustic section :embarrassed:

I am talking about electric guitars. I love the challenge of a new instrument, which I why I bought a mandolin and why I want to buy a banjo. Why fight an electric when you can get just about any sound you can want from any of the millions out there?

Yes, I'd agree with that. I played about 30 telecasters before I bought mine.

Playing style has little to do with the playability of an instrument in my opinion...

A good instrument is something that you do not have to constantly fight with to play.

Sound is really the most important thing, but there are features that I prefer and would look for. The main overall feature is versatility...being able to cover a nice amount of sonic territory. That, however, is not just a product of the guitar if we're talking about electrics. With acoustics, it's all about the instrument and part of why I prefer OM and dreadnaught sizes, as they can get decently to VERY loud and boomy while also being able to be dialed back to play great fingerstyle stuff.

With a good acoustic the most important factor in choosing a guitar is your ability to make the most of what it has to offer.

Playing style has little to do with the playability of an instrument in my opinion...

A good instrument is something that you do not have to constantly fight with to play.

I disagree completely with the first sentence. My dad had a friend that liked high action and super heavy strings. He was killer on old acoustics with this type of setup. On an electric with light strings and low action he was literally lost.

And I know there are many players that prefer an instrument they have to fight...that's why Ritchie Blackmore stopped playing Gibsons and turned to Fenders (or so he claims). He said that Gibsons were just easier to play and homogenized the player while Fenders were harder to play and forced you put more into your playing.

Well then... For me I guess it's "Laziness always pays off right now".

The guitar has to almost play itself or I ain't touching it.

Has to play very nicely or I have to be able to make it play nicely with some work...
Has to have character... Every guitar has a voice..some good, some not so good... Been at it long enough to know...

Lastly I tech the axe looking for flaws or problems...
Walked from one of the best 12s I ever played due to a serious bridge and internal structure issue. BUT WOW it sounded great!

Wide thick neck, humbucker in the bridge. Jumbo frets. Apparently I have been getting a bit picky lately. It better be a TV Jones or a Curtis Novak or I'm not interested.

Everyone picks and chooses their learning curves.

I like Scott Abene's list, though I'd lump #'s 1-3, and 5 all under the amiguous term "feel." I have to like it's feel, and it must have some sort of positive sonic character (sound, voice, call it what you like).

I'm also likely to purchase a guitar without plugging it in if it passes other smell tests. Not only do I know that I can change the electronics, but I also assume a bad setup, lack of availability of desirable amps, etc. No, if I can hear a nice sound from it unplugged, I will get a nice sound from it via an amp eventually.

And if it's fugly I don't care how nice it plays and sounds.

Neck, weight, playability, tone. I don't care so much about color, hardware color, body shape, etc., as long as it's not jarringly odd. I tend to play super Strats and their ilk, though, with Floyds, or vintage-style Teles, all with chunky-ish necks.

Back