What are the current rates in your area for music lessons?

I don't do a first lesson free, but a couple of times a year we run a promotion where first time clients can by a month of lessons and get a fifth free.

Son has taken guitar lessons from Jim, at Veronda's Music Store in Kankakee IL., east central Illinois. for three years. He started out going every other week with his sister. Son took to guitar like a duck to water. Daugter dropped out. $15 for half hour. A year ago, daugter decided she wanted to give piano a shot. Piano teacher Scott's rate was $20 an hour. Went to Jim, asked him why the fuck he didn't think he was worth as much. I pay Jim $20 an hour now. Daughter dropped out of piano too. I'm just thrilled son has his licence now. 45 minute drive each way, and sit waiting for the lesson to be over. Nobody has ever said anything about paying monthly, just pay every lesson.

Nobody has ever said anything about paying monthly, just pay every lesson.

with me owning a physical music school we don't have the retail part of it to rely on so I need to make every student count...if we let people pay whenever they came in I'd never be able to pay the lease on the building or the teachers on time...

Where I am now, I'm not even sure there are lessons available. When I was in Dekalb, There were many offerings between $80 and $100 an hour from the college profs and grad students and I think the little guitar store in town offered lessons for $50 an hour.

I'm in north central IL.
Dekalb?

do you know Jason?
he's a fellow toy collector, and a musician.
has a band called The Phantom Scars (who kick serious ass)
plays guitar & sings in that
used to play drums for Bionic Sasquatch
he's a buddy of mine

oh, I was asked to teach gutar to the kid of a shop owner in the town where I work
I laughed my ass off.

I said "I can teach him to play like me, but I don't know theory, technique, or fuck-all. he'll play punk & metal, and that's it."
and then I said I'd charge $75/30 min
:lol:

they passed.

thank God. :embarrassed:

I mean, if the kid just wanted to learn 80\s speed metal, fine, I'd show him some tricks or whatever...
but a well-rounded guitarist I am not, nor will ever be.

and I was paying the prices most of you guys are quoting
but in 1985-86 or thereabouts.

man, I got dry-raped

In the North Dallas area lessons from a credentialed/educated teacher run from 80-120 for 4 30 minute lessons.

So, for me, the Skype thing with Mark works out perfectly.

....and I might add, the experience has been great! Thanks Mark.

LMK, what the friggin crap is a "credentialed" teacher?

like, I went to PMC in Winnipeg....(Professional Musicians College)
I only lasted 2 weeks, they were dicks

but...?

with me owning a physical music school we don't have the retail part of it to rely on so I need to make every student count...if we let people pay whenever they came in I'd never be able to pay the lease on the building or the teachers on time...

Also, if we miss a lesson, still have to pay for it.

I have all of my students pay a month at a time. I mean, I you are going to take lessons, take lessons. If they have to cancel then I give then a credit for he next month. What I find is if they pay for them ahead of time, the are less likely to cancel. Even if I tell hem that I'll credit them.

I get a living, they get better at music. Win, win.

LMK, what the friggin crap is a "credentialed" teacher?

like, I went to PMC in Winnipeg....(Professional Musicians College)
I only lasted 2 weeks, they were dicks

but...?

ummm, you know, someone that has "credentials"

...a degree? in music, from MI, or a college, whatever....it would then be up to the potential student to investigate the veracity of said credentials. Also, what I had in mind was not necessarily all from formal education....maybe a CD, a website or SOMETHING that you could quantify and verify as to the instructors abilities. Something more than, "hey dude check out these killer riffs I can teach you" or "I once jammed with a guy who knew Keith Richard's proctologist," whatever the case may be there are actually ways to evaluate the abilities of someone you plan on paying $1200+ dollars a year and dedicating your time to.

...and FWIW it has been my experience that the guys around here charging $100 for 4 30 minute lessons, have those things. Most have music degrees of some form from recognizable places.

Last edited:
I have all of my students pay a month at a time. I mean, I you are going to take lessons, take lessons. If they have to cancel then I give then a credit for he next month. What I find is if they pay for them ahead of time, the are less likely to cancel. Even if I tell hem that I'll credit them.

I get a living, they get better at music. Win, win.

We have a policy that if a student cancels at least a day ahead of time that they can have a makeup lesson in the time the teacher has available. If they call the day of a lesson or give no notice then there is no makeup and no credit.

Cool thread and nice to see what the current rates are.

Me, I charge $40 an hour but I do it as a part time thing as this is not my source of living. When I first moved to SoCal, I looked to rent teaching space but the system in SoCal is way more different than it is in Hawaii.

think we've raiser our rates since this thread:

$33 per half hour

$28 per half hour if all of the lessons for the month are paid together

$50 per hour if all lessons for the month are paid together.

think we've raiser our rates since this thread:

$33 per half hour

$28 per half hour if all of the lessons for the month are paid together

$50 per hour if all lessons for the month are paid together.

we're still at $25 per half hour, paid monthly.

Back