What are some great P-90 guitars?

BlockInlay

Octavate.band
So that 2015 Les Paul Doublecut Special that I got is on the way out. I absolutely loved the way the thing sounded and played but tuning stability and intonation was a joke, even after putting proper tuners and a Gibson replacement nut on the fucker. I have no desire to invest further in the guitar by replacing the nut again or replacing the wrap around bridge.

I absolutely loved the sound tho so after long thought I think I'm starting to wonder what P90 guitar is in my future.

I was on the verge of getting a @reverend1 PA-1 Hollowbody with Revtron pickups. Now I'm wondering about the P90 version of that guitar.

I dig the way the Les Paul Special looks but I kinda hate Gibson and every Gibson I've ever owned has had tuning issues that just drive me crazy. Are there decent clones out there that don't have the stupid head stock angle and/or the 3+3 arrangement that throws the strongs off the nut at weird angles? So that also rules out other Gibson or Epi models, unless there's no severe headstock angle etc.

I owned a PRS Soapbar SE in the bast and liked it OK but it was pretty ugly.

Let the P90 pr0n flow!

DSC02636.jpg

I was looking into this recently, taking into account my anti-Gibson bias. I had been looking at the Reverend Sensei 290, but the colors aren't my speed. If you don't mind the poop knife, you could get a Tricky Gomez. Otherwise, just build a Tele with your choice of P90s and go from there. There's plenty of them out there. Or maybe a Kauer Titan. Also, don't rule out G&L. Their MFD pickups are P-90ish.

So many good ones. I get tempted to get a LP Special or Junior some times, loaded with good P90's. But then, I just turn back to this guitar, with one p90 in the neck, and a good "rock wind" A3 magnet tele bridge pickup, both wound by Bryan Gunsher to match, that I really enjoy. To me, it is a great P90 guitar.

942434_10151704127812086_352270141_n.jpg

And yeah, it is only a Squire. But with a little attention and love, and new pickups and electronics, it has become a very cromulent guitar.

Don't know how you feel about gold hardware, but the new MIK Guilds are great guitars:

newark_street_mainimage_m75black_side-1500x630.jpg

X175manhattan_side_web-1500x630.jpg

Someone is selling one of the latter (X175) for $600 on my local CL, and I've been telling myself I don't need it...

Sorry for your experience with the 2015 LPDC. I haven't had the same issues with mine (and I haven't changed strings yet, so it's still got the original brass nut). My only issue is a bit of neck-dive, which I should be able to fix with a grippier strap.

I was looking into this recently, taking into account my anti-Gibson bias. I had been looking at the Reverend Sensei 290, but the colors aren't my speed. If you don't mind the poop knife, you could get a Tricky Gomez. Otherwise, just build a Tele with your choice of P90s and go from there. There's plenty of them out there. Or maybe a Kauer Titan. Also, don't rule out G&L. Their MFD pickups are P-90ish.

G&L makes a blues boy with a p90 in the neck and an MFD in the bridge. The G&L P90s are pretty nice sounding.

GLasatBLUE-D2-450x600.jpg

Last edited:
I have this. Epi Blueshawk
15111509292-front-large.jpg
I like it fine, but I am like you on the hating to retune way more often than my other guitars.

Also, if you can find one, Peavey Firenza was a pretty good guitar.

Back