What amp am I describing?

Ignored Member

Neutered male
20-60 watts
Preferably a head but a combo might be ok
Preferably 6L6 but 6V6 power tubes might be ok
Stupid simple - 1 channel with loud, clear, cleans.
Reverb not necessary
Reliable
I don't care about PtP -- circuit board is just fine

No bullshit "vintage" markup and I don't want to have to re-cap an old amp first thing. I know that probably rules out a lot of silverface Fenders that otherwise fit the bill.

Bargain - in the $300 neighborhood is ideal.

I'm wanting to use this as an amp for my Godin Fifth Avenue. The Peavey Classics I have are great with solid-bodies but just too middy for the archtop. I want less mids and a more focused "thumpy" bass.

Honestly, I'm not ruling out solid state. It's just that a Jazz Chorus 120 is too much. I might jump on one of the smaller ones if it shows up used.

What about the Sovteks or maybe a Carvin?

Kinda limited by the price. Maybe Roland Cube 40? They are going for $200 right now, or get a decently used 80 for the 12" speaker around $300. The cleans are loud and clear on these, and are the best part of that line.

Thanks! I think Polytone is worth looking at. I'm a little worried about "fixability" if it breaks but, for the price I'm thinking, I may just have to cross my fingers.

Roland Cube 40/60/80 has been the leading contender. My Cube Street on the JC setting is perfect -- just too small. They are hard to find used around here, though.

Those old Carvin X-100B heads from the '80s were 6L6 and *might* be good for what you want. I know mine was clean clean all the way up in volume, no breakup on the clean channel in 100w and 50w modes. With the switch set to 25w it would break up a bit on the clean channel, plus had a bit of extra gain on the lead channel. The user manual stated it was designed that way and was normal. Plus, with the 5-band equalizer you can assign to either channel I can't imagine not getting enough bass. You can find them all day long on ebay and reverb for $300

The older VHT amps, which are now essentially what Freyette amps are nowadays, are 6L6 too, plus has that same 5-band equalizer besides the normal tone controls. No idea how clean the clean channels are on them…I think @Kerouac used to own one, or still does. Not sure you can find those for $300 though :embarrassed:

I was gonna say, those jet city heads without reverb are pretty much what you described. The 20w version of them sounds great.

You're probably going to think I am nuts, but check out a Vox VT40+ -- 60 watts hybrid, totally reliable, beautiful cleans on the blackface model, and so much more -- plus super reliable. I had the predecessor VT15, but saw a shiny toy (Tech 21 trademark 60) and let it go for a song.

Oh yeah, the Vox will set you back less than $250, but you will want the optional foot pedal.

Thanks for all the great suggestions. Unfortunately, I had to buy three new tires yesterday so the amp is on hold for a while. More time to think about it, at least.

The older VHT amps, which are now essentially what Freyette amps are nowadays, are 6L6 too, plus has that same 5-band equalizer besides the normal tone controls. No idea how clean the clean channels are on them…I think @Kerouac used to own one, or still does. Not sure you can find those for $300 though :embarrassed:

FWIW, I've got a VHT Pittbull 100CL head. It can use either EL34 or 6l6 power tubes, and has a 1/2 power switch.

What it doesn't have is a clean channel.

It has a gain channel, and a more gain channel.

Sure, you can dial the gain way down on them to the point that it's essentially a clean channel, but still has a little bit of hair on it.

Back