What a week

335clone

Living the dream
I spent most of it rebuilding the steering column in the 88 Suburban. Those GM tilt columns are notorious for loosening up, and eventually coming completely apart. Guess who waited too long ?:facepalm: At least the wife wasn't driving it when it let go. After much research, I found a guy who had made a complete procedure including making cut away components for seeing how everything fits together. Mine was a bit worse since the screws came completely out instead of just being loose, so there were a few damaged parts I had to deal with.
Check this out. I wish there were more of these out there for some of the complicated DIY projects we all seem to run into.
http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/wiki/images/d/d6/Jazzman_Steering_Rack_Rebuild.pdf

Sometimes I wish I was good at working on cars so I could not pay so much money to the mechanics and all.

Then I read a post like this, and I think, "Naaaaaaaah." :tongue:

Reactions: Tig
Sometimes I wish I was good at working on cars so I could not pay so much money to the mechanics and all.

Then I read a post like this, and I think, "Naaaaaaaah." :tongue:

Yeah. We need to remember that they are a lot like musicians.
That $20 part isn't go to install itself much in the same way that music doesn't perform itself.

With time, effort and determination you might be able to do it yourself, but then it's not really 'free' anymore, is it?

I can change the oil and play Twinkle Twinkle Little Star.
I'm working on building an entire car (12 years so far) and playing any music I desire (many more than 12 years and not even close).
If I want/need a car to work or I want to listen to good music, I go to a professional.

I know we're all at different levels of musicianship and most here are at a higher level than 'change the oil' in regards to music, but you get the idea.

It turned out perfect, but it would have been a lot more difficult had I not had that pdf for reference. The problems arise when parts fall out during dis-assembly and you have to figure out what they did and where they go. Saved about $220 on a used column, and $800 on a new one, so I say it was worth it.

I have heard those thing loosen up over time because so many use the steering wheel as a grab handle getting in the truck. But who knows.

Since I'm a big fan of squarebodys, can i see a pic of said burban? :embarrassed:

It turned out perfect, but it would have been a lot more difficult had I not had that pdf for reference. The problems arise when parts fall out during dis-assembly and you have to figure out what they did and where they go. Saved about $220 on a used column, and $800 on a new one, so I say it was worth it.

Excellent!

I wasn't implying that you shouldn't do it...I'd have been too late anyway. :grin:

I was going more for the idea that there's a time to do it yourself and there's a time to pay someone to do it.

I'd probably have given that job a shot myself.

I have heard those thing loosen up over time because so many use the steering wheel as a grab handle getting in the truck. But who knows.

Since I'm a big fan of squarebodys, can i see a pic of said burban? :embarrassed:

I am sure that is part of it, but it happens on all the GM tilt columns. The guy that made the how-to procedure did it for a fiero forum.

It is an 88 1 ton Burb, you don't see to many like this one. The wife named it THOR.
IMG_20150516_184936.jpg
IMG_20150516_184949.jpg

That. Is. Awesome. I would SO rock that. If you ever get rid of those axles, let me know. lol.

I thought all 1 tons had roof clearance lights. Guess not. hahaha.

Back