What’s a good intro book for understanding drums?

jp_nyc

Kick Henry Jackassowski
I’ve started messing with drum software and realized that I don’t know the first thing about drums. I need a book that will tell me things about drums, but not an actual drum method, because I haven’t the time or money to start playing drums. I just want to know more about the different kinds of drums and how they’re used in music.

You could get a "Drumming for Dummies" book, and just read the chapters that you need to understand. I believe any of those types of books contain a world drums section, as well as covering the types of drums used in the Western world.

I approach the drumset from a compositional perspective.
I already understood rhythmic notation extremely thoroughly. I learned to play just enough to learn to think about what can be played easily, what it possible, but difficult for a range of normal drummers more or less, what is very very difficult, but possible, & what is physically impossible, unless there are either 2 drummers, or maybe if you could get Vishnu to play your drum parts.
I also have an uncle who is the drummer for a band in- he's showed me a lot about the 26 rudiments.

If I were you, I'd just start listening to the drummers you like & figure out what they're doing. Videos of drum clinics could be useful, or drum lesson videos on youtube.

Back