Were all Fender Showmasters made in USA?

shoeless

Riffin'
Just to be clear, I'm talking about Showmasters with Fender on the headstock, not Squire. Were they all made in USA or were there MIM or MIK models too? The reason I'm asking is that there's one for sale nearby for what seems like a low price, especially if it is a USA model. If it is Korean/Indonesian/Mexican, then that might explain it. Unfortunately, the ad does not have any good close up photos of the headstock, front or rear. If it is any help, it has the 2 point trem and not the Floyd.

I know, I know....I should just buy @micwalt 's. Who knows, if this doesn't work out, maybe I will.

Edit: Here's a photo of said guitar.

01717_kqwBg152RLt_1200x900.jpg

Yes, they made a Fender Showmaster model in Korea for a while in the 2000's. Said Fender on the headstock, set neck, duncan pickups, veneer top and back over multi piece wood body. You can just google Fender Showmaster Korea and see tons of them for sale on eBay, etc.

Thanks, I did that, and damned if most of the images don't look just like the one in the ad. Oh well, I've emailed him with a few questions so I'll see what he comes back with. Still probably a decent deal, just not a stellar one.

I have a Showmaster Celtic H that says Fender, but was made in Korea.

It was a good guitar until I decided to refinish it.

It still sits, disassembled and most of the finish sanded off, in the closet in the attic.

I'd bet the one in the OP is a Korean made one.

Last edited:
The seller got back to me, and it is indeed Korean. It has a pretty interesting neck joint, almost like a neck thru, but I'm pretty sure it's just a set/glued neck with some heavy, creative sanding. I'll post the pic he sent tomorrow.

He's asking $300 for it. Seems like it's a fair price, but I doubt I'll follow up on it. Doesn't hold a candle to Micwalt's Showmaster, which I'd love to snag if I could justify it.

Might sound weird, but I knew that was Korean immediately from the pic. They had a tendency to make the edges of bursts really small and yet opaque - MIK guitars have a real recognizability for me.

I have a Showmaster Celtic H that says Fender, but was made in Korea.

It was a good guitar until I decided to refinish it.

It still sits, disassembled and most of the finish sanded off, in the closet in the attic.

Slap it back together unfinished. Seems to work well for you.

t has a pretty interesting neck joint, almost like a neck thru, but I'm pretty sure it's just a set/glued neck with some heavy, creative sanding. I'll post the pic he sent tomorrow.
A set-through? (from what I understand it's a term that came up for a neck set deeper in the guitar's body)

That's probably what it is. Here's the pic he sent me.

Tg0-Ox4TjRz8MfleMWgRbcK7k2QBWBDG-8A-ntvpJA0EqM-pjlrO6z3fj9I7rt9mXMWAUqhc34ZsdvAYc28_raG4qzhn56Z4OAQvqavGPgRT9rDL_5P9uifpmG0SZJpiCFOxa6C8fvtBRcHIicMxdqJuMYxV4qkB6FBYVx0e1pliLmWvgYVMUqHiZF7mCzqDMDlW-l6XdZ25DCcEqbW9KQtWJsF_VODqKCzkOS2PVJpiQyAerB-r7tv0DpBnv6FKcbV-XP1roIFkPoPMYBNuZAmf27GxZXFzl9sUuj0hE1IT1a-eSIGE9OxWPVccbm87Lr0Rd61pC0h2TCajy07NcnaPXPYVELi5cUcA5K-UJ0UOLT-ninli5fO-kMX-O45fgbO3kSE1AeO5l9YVVROjLYHnha6rjDGBv-ekDZPYk2Abvys58pNwWWg2Y86tCi8m6GJwBNKJWtPaYisyL4jn0HZWJ6dg_Tur9KINU49M-Iu-EVg3uB9FeRWiIOn9kPeojNDCEZjmZkOG94zFOr_LEIvE3_jkyF5XaholKrnOR6lTp32XXDhVgHffZRzt6kqErG-loHKy9OJFGJVvbmM-lbhWDkAncDY=w454-h807-no

I've played a bunch of Korean Showmasters and the set neck Telecasters. It looks like they glued in a bolt on neck, added a bottom piece to fill in (like you see on low-line set neck Epiphones) and then shaped the joint smooth. I'm sure someone else could describe it better, but that's what it looked like in-person.

Back