Went Beginner Acoustic Shopping

Pine Apple Slim

Armchair Expert
With Ms Pine Apple and a friend of hers, for a birthday present to her husband. She was about to jump on the Keith Urban infomercial, but told her no, meet at GC and I'll help you pick something decent. Went in fully expecting to walk out with a Yamaha, or maybe an Ibanez or Alvarez. But instead walked out with this for $299, with a gig bag. $300 was the budget.

http://breedlovemusic.com/guitars/discovery-series/dreadnought

Very impressive strong dred tone. Knocked all the sub $300 competition out of the water.
Very impressed. Can recommend .

I completely concur. I got my daughter one of the Passport (?) series. Smaller body style (concert?) beautiful sound, easy on the fingers. I may steal it.

I kinda wanted to go with a smaller body, easier to pick around on the couch, good for finger style. But frankly their selection of smaller bodied guitars on the under $300 wall was very deficient. Plus his wife wanted to get him a "real full sized guitar"' :)

One thing for sure this dred will hang with the Martin crowd in a bluegrass jam. It's loud and bass heavy like a Martin.

It was the other way around for me. There were a number of the size I ended up getting. We picked our favorite and put it on layaway.

Solid Spruce top under $300? Sounds like a great beginner acoustic.

They had several Yamaha dreds w solid tops for$200-$300. Very nicely constructed, played great. But every one I picked up after the Breedlove went back on the rack after a strum or two. Not my decision either. The women, who are not musicians said immediately "put that back, sounds like crap compared to the Breedlove"
They were right, I didn't argue.

I have played a couple of the import Breedloves and have been impressed. They don't sell well because of the lack of name recognition so they end up in the SDOTD a lot. I have been tempted to buy one from that, but acoustic guitars are the one musical instrument I must play before buying....especially in the lower end models (under $1000.00).

What is it Keith Urban is shilling for?

^ Urban has jumped on the same money train as Roy Clark and Estaban. He's running a late night infomercial/Home Shopping Network pitch hawking a "signature" acoustic guitar and a set of DVD lessons for $300.

What is it Keith Urban is shilling for?

http://www.hsn.com/shop/urban-guitar-collection/11385

DG6212_121515_Feature_BP_IDL_KeithUrban.jpg

or
keith-urban-night-star-solid-body-22pc-guitar-pkg-d-20141113151021663%7E366990.jpg

Ummm....

keith-urban-night-star-solid-body-22pc-guitar-pkg-d-20141113150845773%7E366990_alt5.jpg

The Urban commercial cracks me up. Why? Because when I saw scheduling on the idiot box, I thought at first it was a concert. So I am watching the first few minutes of this and damn it, Esteban revisited. Okay switch...

In that type of price range, having someone knowledgeable check out guitars is a smart thing. There can be variations even with identical brands and models. It sounds like you helped them make a good choice.

Back