Went acoustic shopping today

Tig

Fucktangular
Mostly to test the waters and get a feel of a few possible small bodied guitars. I played a few equivalent 12 and 14 fret Martins, but they sounded weak and felt less refined than the Taylor's. One of the Breedlove's sounded pretty sweet and will get another demo.

After a few back and forths between 6 guitars, I narrowed it down to two Taylor's,
a 522e 12-Fret all mahogany and a GS8-E grand symphony Indian rosewood side/back with Sitka spruce top.

The slightly larger GS obviously has a deeper bass, but not as much difference as you'd expect. The mahogany 12-fret was very warm across all strings, and the highs were sweet, like no other I've ever played. Its 24-7/8" scale was easier to play than the GS's 25-1/2", and it weighed noticeably less. The 12-fret runs just $250 more and I'm leaning toward it. Both have the same 1-3/4" neck width, which didn't take long getting used to. The build quality and sound for both is superb. Another round of playing next week will reveal my favorite and possible NGD.

The GS8E is in the lower left of the photo (looks larger because it is closer), and the 522e 12-fret is in the middle bottom, just right of the Go Big sign.
18747116835_d1d292f209_b.jpg

Nice

I would honestly like a new acoustic that was a better one that I have but there is too much sentimental value in mine and I cannot rationalize having 2 6 string acoustics...

Electrics are easier to rationalize :Wave:

I personally hate the way that Taylors play, and sometimes (not always) I think that they are overpriced/overrated.

But that one with the slotted headstock is very attractive, I'm not going to lie.

I've noticed lower priced martins feel like plastic and sound like it too. I would take either Taylor. I have a late 80's Sigma by Martin made in Korea that beats the pants off any Martin that's less than $1500.
uploadfromtaptalk1434320831814.jpg

Reactions: Tig
Back