WTF: Well, the fits hitting the shan...

The officer never told the driver he was under arrest, never told him he was being detained.

The victim certainly wasn't very cooperative, but the officer failed in many ways.

As soon as that bottle was produced, that should have been a very different scenario.

Felony evasion doesn't play in here. He stopped for the initial contact. After doing so, the lack of a formal arrest or detention notification meant he was free to go until lawfully instructed otherwise.

The officer had lawful suspicion to detain. Rather than affecting a detention, he continued to fish for more incriminating statements or evidence. He played a game that is very common... let the suspect incriminate themselves BEFORE Miranda rights are explained or invoked.

The entire encounter was mishandled by the officer.

No one, would object to a lawful stop followed by a lawful arrest for DWL, DUI, etc, or even an open container infraction.

This officer failed miserably to properly conduct what should have been a routine stop.

I'm usually in lockstep with Flamencology on issues like this, but to put it all on racism while marginallizing the "us vs them" factor is far too optimistic and Utopian.

Racism is a massive part of the issue. However, it is just one facet of a much broader and far more sinister reality. Law enforcement as a whole, fosters this us vs them mentality by maintaining the brotherhood in blue. They see themselves as above the citizenry and above the law. I could quite literally write a book on this topic (and someday, I probably will).

As someone who lost a sibling at the hands of an out of control police officer, whose "brothers" did all they could to cover up and make excuses for, I can assure you that racism wasn't an issue in her case at all.

As someone with a Bachelor's in Criminal Justice, and a few decades of research, I can tell you that there is ZERO doubt that it is in fact, us vs them.

Ok. But why is it like that?

I've been on both sides of this coin. I've written here about remembering being in Ireland as a child and seeing a British soldier point a rifle at my grandfather. Those were the times.

On the other hand...

I mean, I was in Ottawa a couple of weeks ago on a work trip, got way too drunk with old friends at a bar, walked home, wasn't entirely sure where my hotel was, stopped a police officer in front of the Capitol building and asked for directions back to my hotel. Incredibly nice, friendly guy, gave me very thorough directions, "you can't miss it", I said "thanks, officer!", he said "you're very welcome!", and all was well. (Of course, I'm white)

IDK.

But when you guys talk about "us vs them" mentality... That's probably ingrained. I like how RCMP officers, when starting out, can be posted anywhere in the country. Policing a place where you grew up is probably problematic; everyone has prejudices, assumptions, etc.

And, like I said, there needs to be consistency in police screening and education.

But I don't think that for one second that racism isn't the single most important issue here, within the context of the bigger (national) picture. I can't imagine that this man would be dead if he'd been white.

Explain to me what #Trump2016 means ,please..

Remember..I work with government special forces and most communication is done via word of mouth.......I'm out of the lingo loop..

Never mind...It has to do with American elections...OK..

Ok. But why is it like that?

I've been on both sides of this coin. I've written here about remembering being in Ireland as a child and seeing a British soldier point a rifle at my grandfather. Those were the times.

On the other hand...

I mean, I was in Ottawa a couple of weeks ago on a work trip, got way too drunk with old friends at a bar, walked home, wasn't entirely sure where my hotel was, stopped a police officer in front of the Capitol building and asked for directions back to my hotel. Incredibly nice, friendly guy, gave me very thorough directions, "you can't miss it", I said "thanks, officer!", he said "you're very welcome!", and all was well. (Of course, I'm white)

IDK.

But when you guys talk about "us vs them" mentality... That's probably ingrained. I like how RCMP officers, when starting out, can be posted anywhere in the country. Policing a place where you grew up is probably problematic; everyone has prejudices, assumptions, etc.

And, like I said, there needs to be consistency in police screening and education.

But I don't think that for one second that racism isn't the single most important issue here, within the context of the bigger (national) picture. I can't imagine that this man would be dead if he'd been white.
No doubt this particular incident was race driven. None.

Also, my post wasn't an indictment against all cops as individuals. I know some truly great ones.

It's the brotherhood of the collective and the growing trend toward doubling down on the tradition of the blue shield that is the frightening part.

There is also the fatally inadequate psych evaluation that puts power-hungry sociopaths behind the wheel of a police car with a badge and gun.

One Semester of CJ100 at the local JuCo will scare the living shit out of you when you see the number of obviously troubled individuals who want to become cops for all of the wrong reasons. I kid you not. It is terrifying. Especially since many of those people do indeed end up in law enforcement.

The area near campus is primarily white, solely due to the university. The next ten blocks are predominantly black and low income, until you come to Over The Rhine, or OTR. OTR is where MY family came from, as did many German immigrants during Cincinnati's early days. By the mid-60's it had become the projects and starting in the mid-90s it became an urban renewal project that resulted in massive gentrification for three blocks, while the rest of the area is full of homelessness, junkies, and gangs. Cincinnati has had a lot of racial tensions over the years and a large percentage of white folks that live in the outer suburbs refuse to come "downtown" out of fear. This year our homicide level is at a ten year high and we've had several (justified) police shootings. A few weeks back we even had an officer killed in a "Suicide By Cop" scenario and the amount of racism that poured out over those 72 hours was some of the most shocking behaviour I've EVER seen. People care flooding our local new stations comment sections, Facebook pages, and email inboxes and accusing them of inciting racial tensions and wanting to start a race war. On the 4th of July a group of 20 black men beat the shit out of a drunken white male that was hurling racial epithets at them; while they were arrested, popular opinion was they needed to be charged with a hate crime, and when Dieters didn't charge them he received death threats and protestors outside his office and more cries of "playing the race card." Sam DuBose is just the latest example of a much larger issue facing Cincinnati and while nothing happened the other night, I'm incredibly fearful that if Tinseng isn't convicted, the city WILL riot, just like in 2001 when Timothy Thomas was murdered and his killer walked.

Well, today is the day. The jury was sequestered overnight, as they were unable to decide on on a verdict and were due at court this morning and we're expecting it sometime this afternoon.

If Tensing skates I'll be there front and center with #BlackLivesMatter. After what happened on Tuesday I've had enough... I can't take one more fucking injustice. I seriously can't remember the last time I was so angry.

Well, today is the day. The jury was sequestered overnight, as they were unable to decide on on a verdict and were due at court this morning and we're expecting it sometime this afternoon.

If Tensing skates I'll be there front and center with #BlackLivesMatter. After what happened on Tuesday I've had enough... I can't take one more fucking injustice. I seriously can't remember the last time I was so angry.

Be angry but keep your cool.

I just saw this thread for the first time now...
I did read the first few pages of posts but I'm unclear on the video:
Did the officer that pulled the guy over do the actual shooting? I see in the video that he tries to open the door and the guy pulls it back closed and when he tries to drive off the cop pulls the gun. I hear what sounds like a gun shot but then continue to hear the cars tires screech as he drives away. Who did the actual shooting? And I'm still not understanding the tire screeching....it seem that if the car is still peeling out he must have still been alive at that point.
I get that he may have pressed the accelerator due to his body going limp etc....
What is the short version of the timeline?

Don't drive angry.

Reactions: OGG
I just saw this thread for the first time now...
I did read the first few pages of posts but I'm unclear on the video:
Did the officer that pulled the guy over do the actual shooting? I see in the video that he tries to open the door and the guy pulls it back closed and when he tries to drive off the cop pulls the gun. I hear what sounds like a gun shot but then continue to hear the cars tires screech as he drives away. Who did the actual shooting? And I'm still not understanding the tire screeching....it seem that if the car is still peeling out he must have still been alive at that point.
I get that he may have pressed the accelerator due to his body going limp etc....
What is the short version of the timeline?

http://www.wlwt.com/article/everything-you-should-know-about-the-ray-tensing-murder-trial/7146075

Tensing maintains DuBose was driving away and dragging him, so he fired randomly because he felt his life was in danger.

Certainly an interesting case.
From what I saw, it didn't look like there was any justification for lethal force.
Was there reason for the stop, and was Sam breaking the law....absolutely.
No front plate
No license
Booze in the car(not sure if the bottle was open)
Did he appear to be hiding something when the cop tried to open the door....possibly(who knows)
Deadly force....not in my opinion BUT the video is unclear in many aspects as well. It's not definitive.
This is a tough case...no doubt about that.

Announcing verdict at 4...

EDIT: Seems like the local news had it a bit premature. The DuBose family was called in at 4 and Tensing is due in the court room, so they're "thinking" a verdict will be handed down soon after.

Last edited:
Announcing verdict at 4...

EDIT: Seems like the local news had it a bit premature. The DuBose family was called in at 4 and Tensing is due in the court room, so they're "thinking" a verdict will be handed down soon after.
Or tomorrow, apparently...

Jury released a statement they could not reach a unanimous decision. Judge is telling them tough shit, you need to do so.

It's been 18+ hours.

Back