Well I will soon be able to give a players perspective of the Game/Tutorial "Rocksmith"

One of my guitar-owning friends who'd like to be a guitar-player just got this, I'll be interested to see if he makes any progress. Another guitar owning friend who wants to be a guitar player is thinking of getting it too. I might want to get it for my Mac because (1) I have Steam and (2) seems like a no brainer to keep my fingers moving.

Picked it up cheap in the Steam sale last week and had the cable delivered yesterday's. I LOVE IT! Was up till 4:30 last night playing :lol:

The whole thing of only playing selected notes is a bit weird at first but is actually a really effective way of learning. I found myself adding more notes by ear, the game reacts instantly to that. The note road thing is weird too, especially for someone like me that never played Rock Band or any of those sort of games. I might try flipping it as others have mentioned though I am starting to get used to it already.

The mini games are great, practising scales is actually fun!

I can't quite get the band to work. I think my basic lack of musicality confuses them :embarrassed:

I am enjoying it too. I started out on the guitar portions, then have started the lessons on the bass portion. It seems pretty useful, and fun to do. I am getting a little lag with the audio. The game seems to pick up the note(s) I play on time, but the audio seems to have a slight delay. I have it hooked up the way they suggest, with HDMI and audio separated, with audio going to my stereo through an adapter and RCA, but I am still getting a little delay. I have a switcher installed for the audio to allow different input sources to be selected by button that use the same input on my old stereo. Maybe that is causing it.

Other than that, happy with it!

What?!? That would kinda defeat the purpose of having a PS3...

Sent from none of your fuckin' business!
Fo realz playa. The conspiracy theorist in me, and frankly I'm not one, wonders if this was intentional. Now I just use it to stream netflix.

Tonight I took a stab at learning the bass, the rhythm and the lead portions of "Blitzkrieg Bop". Pretty fun to see it all tied together like that. Not complicated at all, being a simple Ramones song, but the speed and staying accurate and in time were still a challenge for me on this first sitting. I could see this being a useful tool for improving my skillz, having to keep up with the game and all. On the lead part, on which I was doing the best, the game automatically adjusted up as I was succeeding, until it got hard enough for me to fall apart on it. Pretty fun!

Last edited:
Playing along with the Ramones, as Johnny played it, is one if the best rhythm exercises I've ever done :embarrassed:

Got me up to speed with the down picking thing FAST.

Playing along with the Ramones, as Johnny played it, is one if the best rhythm exercises I've ever done :embarrassed:

Got me up to speed with the down picking thing FAST.
Yeah, it will take a bit to get really, really in time. But a fun way to go about it! I have never worked on that type of speed before. It is addicting!

Yeah, I have some issues with a couple of our songs still but for the most part I can down pick everything now. The issues are generally more related to song length than speed. By the 3:30 mark in dancin with myself, I pretty much have to go alternate. Lol.

I am far off from 100+% on Blitzkrieg, but it is fun trying. Staying in time and accurate at that speed for longer periods is tough for me yet.

I had some frustrations with the game over the last little while that I figured out finally.

Biggest one was the voice activation. I had to turn it off as the game was activating itself when the narrator would say things like "Ok". It was re-starting the same lesson repeatedly at one point. Turned that off and it was fine. I was also having some audio lag issues that I fixed by re-configuring how I am connecting the audio.

Another thought, after working through one or two of the "bending" lessons, I have to say that while this will be a fun practice tool, and a good way to motivate myself to plug in and play when I don't have much mental energy, it is not at all the same as practicing and working with a real instructor, such as Mark. The feedback I was getting after playing through the material for the bending class was "Awesome" and "Great Performance", when it clearly wasn't. My bends on that portion were sharp several times, and I know they were not completely in time all the time as well.

So, a really fun practice tool and game and fun way to learn songs. But does not replace real instruction. Everyone probably knew that already, but thought I would just say it, and my reasons why.

It would be cool if you could load your own songs or your own notations into the game so that the game and it's band could play with you as you practiced something you were working on. I wonder if there will be a way to do that at some point.

i have to take a break from the game. My SSD drive in my computer just puked this weekend. It's under warranty, but I still have to get a replacement and reinstall my OS. :mad:

i have to take a break from the game. My SSD drive in my computer just puked this weekend. It's under warranty, but I still have to get a replacement and reinstall my OS. :mad:

That sucks, and is precisely why, despite the assertions of others, I have not yet embraced SSD's.

The speed difference is undeniable, the unreliability is inescapable.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Back