Welcome To Guitar Salad Toss

James Franciscus

Kick Henry Jackassowski
I'm seeing Pat Benatar tonight starring the great Neil Giraldo. I've been a fan forever and took delight in having played a handful of Benatar classics in college.

I'm fully stoked to the max! Please remember to not listen to a word micwalt says. He knows nothing.

He knows nothing.
jon-snow425.jpg

Sounds like a great show. I have always liked Neils guitar work with his wife, and I'll be interested to hear how well she can vocally handle the material still. Some of the 'classic' material is not easy to sing and Pat is not a youngster any more.

Glad you had a good time. Nice to see an idol of yours do a good show. I thank god I've never seen a bad one from the handful I've actually been to.

Haven't I apologized for my past Giraldo criticisms?
He's done tons of excellent work.
The solo in Shadows of the Night is still fucking gawdawful, though.
tongue0

Haven't I apologized for my past Giraldo criticisms?
He's done tons of excellent work.
The solo in Shadows of the Night is still fucking gawdawful, though.
tongue0
Just because you're unable to "Get It" doesn't mean it's gawdawful. You can't be expected to "Get" everything.

Good show.

They did the tag team "Connect with the audience thing" so that Pat could get a vocal break. In the old days it was all about her. Now they are billed as Pat Benatar & Neil Giraldo. She really paces herself through out the set but she can still belt and hit every high note with crazy power at 5 foot nothin'. She's not as energetic and excited about performing as she was 35 years ago but they delivered the goods.

Neil had three JCM900 heads running into three three full stacks placed behind a wall. He played a bunch of old Bigsby Teles and some nice Guild acoustic guitars. This is their 36th anniversary performing together and they played a cool video biography showing Neil when he nailed his audition to play with Rick Derringer. The gig that changed his entire life.

At one point Neil launched into "Jesse's Girl" because he said Rick Springfield played no guitar on it, and it was in fact him that played the guitar. He also performed a classic rock medley of Zep's "Heartbreaker," "Funk #49," and "Seven Nation Army" before launching into "Heartbreaker."

They used backing tracks ("Love Is A Battlefield") and Neil played all the piano parts while seamlessly switching back to guitar. They use to have a keyboard player and an additional guitarist, but now it's streamlined to just them and bass and drums. They run a nice little operation of low overhead and a fabulously killer back catalogue that anyone would be proud to have. They're playing the Geezer circuit but Pat could easily compete with any contemporary singer.

"Promises In The Dark" one of my favorite songs and they killed that shit.

Last edited:
Back