Weirded Out?

Gary Blanchard

beloved, local musician
I was just reading how Johnny Depp's last four movies were flops. This would be Transcendence, The Rum Diary, Dark Shadows, and Lone Ranger. Do you suppose Depp has just gotten too weird for the general audience?

The scary thing is that the article I read states that he will "get his mojo back" in 2016 with the next Alice in Wonderland and Pirates of the Caribbean movies. :facepalm:

Nah, he just needs to join Robin Williams in Mrs. Doubtfire 2, or dive into 21 Jump Street 2: Electric Boogaloo.
Trust me on this.

There's no question that Johnny Dep revels in his excentricities, and it's certain one of the things that sets him apart. Has the public had enough of it, though? Very probable. The American public, for one group, has a notoriously short attention span. It's easy to let the newest shiney object catch our attention.

I never cared much for him as an actor.

As a matter of fact, the only movie I can recall ever LIKING that he was in was The Seventh Gate.

It's not that he's too weird.

His problems are:

A) He's only playing caricatures rather than characters,
B) Has terrible taste in selecting projects, and has spent way too much time with Tim Burton, and
C) He keeps cashing them cheques.

I don't think people are driven to the theaters to see a given actor anymore. I would much rather see a good movie with unknown actors than some $300 turd with a "bankable" star. Not to mention, The Lone Ranger was a terrible idea for a movie. The people who were into that are 70 now.

I don't think people are driven to the theaters to see a given actor anymore.

Also this. There are still a few exceptions, though, especially when you consider foreign sales.

Film's always been considered a director's medium. There have been some great exceptions that don't fit the auteur theory model, but they're few and far between, after you've compiled a Top 1000 list.

Don't necessarily agree re: Lone Ranger, Tarzan, John Carter, Doc Savage, Quartermain, etc. It just takes the right people. Look at how successful the Sherlock Holmes franchises have been in recent years. Same cloth. They're pretty much 1st-generation superheroes.

...The scary thing is that the article I read states that he will "get his mojo back" in 2016 with the next Alice in Wonderland and Pirates of the Caribbean movies. :facepalm:

The first of which was horrible and eminently forgettable, and the second of which I never saw, since the preceding episodes were so utterly execrable. It's too bad that the guy who brought characters like Benny in "Benny and Joon" and Gilbert Grape to life is now reduced to utter garbage...

Reactions: Tig
He was a good at playing minor characters - Platoon, Nightmare on Elm Street, etc.

Both he and Tim Burton (whose movies I mostly despise) peaked with Ed Wood.

Totally agree that Tim Burton all but ruined him.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tig
People still go to movies? Why would I want to go to a packed theater with loud disruptive people completely void of any social skills when I have a huge screen and increadable sound system at home. I can wait a few months to see new releases.

Back