Weird... another old Lotus sighting today.

dmn23

Duller than cardboard
I freakin' adore the early Giugiaro Esprits. My buddy with an '86 Turbo Esprit says this is an '85.

DSC_0863.jpg

DSC_0874.jpg

DSC_0888.jpg

DSC_0870.jpg

Last edited:
The 80's. What a time of hideous design. Across all car marques.That is a super expensive K-car and the genesis of the TR8 Flying wedge.

I always wondered how many miles you could really get out of those things.

I mean, even if you look them up on Ebay, most are under 50K miles, which makes me wonder.......they weren't very well built, were they?

I had a chance to drive one of those once, and I literally could not fit inside the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always wondered how many miles you could really get out of those things.

I mean, even if you look them up on Ebay, most are under 50K miles, which makes me wonder.......they weren't very well built, were they?
They are British so my guess would be no. The are very cool though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice!

At the time, those were the fastest 4-bangers out there though, weren't they?

What was faster? Was the 944 out when the Esprit Turbo came out? I don't really remember any other fast 4-bangers from back then other than those two.

What was faster? Was the 944 out when the Esprit Turbo came out? I don't really remember any other fast 4-bangers from back then other than those two.
The 944 turbo. It was faster than the 911 at the time. Which become problematic for Porsche.

1986 Porsche 944 Turbo 0-60 mph 5.9 Quarter mile 14.4

Lotus Esprit S3

April 1981 to October 1987 Significant chassis/suspension changes (as per Essex Turbo) plus many cosmetic revisions, 135mph, 0-60mph 6.5secs (Autocar & Motor). Production: 767.

The 944 turbo. It was faster than the 911 at the time. Which become problematic for Porsche.

1986 Porsche 944 Turbo 0-60 mph 5.9 Quarter mile 14.4

Lotus Esprit S3

April 1981 to October 1987 Significant chassis/suspension changes (as per Essex Turbo) plus many cosmetic revisions, 135mph, 0-60mph 6.5secs (Autocar & Motor). Production: 767.

You're quoting performance for the normally aspirated Esprit. The Turbo should probably be closer to six seconds even, maybe a little under, and closer to 150mph.

You're quoting performance for the normally aspirated Esprit. The Turbo should probably be closer to six seconds even, maybe a little under, and closer to 150mph.

Oops, to be honest I had no idea there was a normally aspirated models. Here is the spec for the higher compression version. I can't find independent numbers for it though. I normally don't like manufacture data from this time period as it tends to be slightly inflated.

Turbo HC

October 1986 to October 1987, High-compression version (up from 7.5:1 to 8:1), with Mahle forged pistons and new exhaust manifolds, 215bhp @ 6000rpm, 220lb ft @ 4250rpm, 152mph, 0-60mph 5.5 secs (Lotus figures).

I love the looks of the Esprit. That particular one is a little too busy for my tastes, but I like it regardless.

Here we go. These are independently verified numbers.

1986 Lotus Turbo Esprit

Data for Lotus Turbo Esprit, model year 1986, version for North America U.S. with 2-door coupe body type, RWD (rear-wheel drive) and manual 5-speed gearbox. Basic www.automobile-catalog.com specs and characteristics: petrol (gasoline) engine of 2174 cm3 / 132.5 cui displacement with advertised power 153 kW / 205 hp / 208 PS ( SAE net ) / 6000 and 263 Nm / 194 lb-ft / 5000 of torque. Dimensions: this model outside length is 4293 mm / 169 in, it’s 1854 mm / 73 in wide and has wheelbase of 2438 mm / 96 in. The officially claimed value of a drag coefficient Cd = 0.35 . Standard wheels were fitted with the tires size: (see standard and alternative tire sizes). Reference vehicle weights are: official base curb weight 1230 kg / 2712 lbs . How fast is that car ? Performance: top speed 238 km/h (148 mph) (declared by factory); accelerations 0- 60 mph 6.3 s; 0- 100 km/h 6.7 s (a-c simulation); 1/4 mile drag time (402 m) 14.7 s (a-c simulation) (see detailed performance data review...). Fuel consumption and mileage: official: 13/20 mpg (U.S.), 18.1/11.8 l/100km, 15.6/23.9 mpg (imp.), 5.5/8.5 km/l EPA ratings , average estimated by a-c: 11.7 l/100km / 24.1 mpg (imp.) / 20 mpg (U.S.) / 8.5 km/l, average estimated combined driving range (km / miles on tank) of this car is 732 km / 454 miles (see detailed fuel economy review). To view table with this car full photo gallery and complete technical specifications (including final drive and gear ratios, powertrain description, inside and outside dimensions etc.), or to compare up to 5 cars side-by-side - click one of the the buttons below:

http://www.automobile-catalog.com/performance/1986/1487435/lotus_turbo_esprit.html

This was at our local minor league ballpark. It was visible from the road so I doubled back to get a closer look the minute I saw it, and I'm glad I had my camera.

A couple of high school kids were walking by and one called out to his buddy, "Dude, is that a Pantera?" Then he ran up and looked at the badge on the nose and seemed to be equally pleased that it was a Lotus.

The 80's. What a time of hideous design. Across all car marques.That is a super expensive K-car and the genesis of the TR8 Flying wedge.

I would do terrible things to get my hands on a pristine TR8.

Sure, it's a typically shitty Leyland car, but I don't care. I want one.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

Back