weight relief

Chad

Slender Hobbit
Anyone ever route out some wood to lighten their guitar? One of my guitars is significantly heavier than the others and I was thinking about routing out the wood under the pickguard. Do you think it would make much of a difference?

I 'm not sure one can take enough enough weight to notice and still keep the balance without keeping it well centered.

Which guitar?
JazzFull.jpeg

I love the guitar, it is just super heavy compared to my others. It is solid under the pickguard.

Would it make a difference? Yes.

Would the difference be worth it? I don't think so. Just not a lot of real estate under that pickguard and where the pup is, it's already routed.

View attachment 38982

I love the guitar, it is just super heavy compared to my others. It is solid under the pickguard.
A deck of cards weighs about 3 ounces...using that as a gauge, figure out how much volume can be safely removed from under the pickguard without compromising the structure and stability...

My own estimate from the pic and having seen the guitar in person is that you may get 12 ounces out of it, but no more...

I've seriously considered chambering my old northern ash strat. The idea would be to take a few mm off the back with a thicknesser, route all excess wood, then glue an acoustic guitar set on the back, reprofile, and refinish.

How to loose weight- diet and exercise. Without removing any wood, obviously, the answer is to play it more.

Back