Weekend Wrapup

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
what a fucking weekend :facepalm:

Friday - had our 114 year old piano tuned. gig at the Blue Beet:

19983588_10155586967572425_7576344038830078005_o.jpg

Saturday - taught and did homework. Gig at Newport Harbor Yacht Club. Nearly lost my shit when I discovered that the stage was a floating triangle not even big enough for all of our gear. Made it through the night without mishap but the constant bobbing around while playing and singing left me horribly sore in my legs and core muscles.

IMG_5702.JPG

IMG_5699.JPG
IMG_5712.JPG
IMG_5717.JPG

Today we went to pick out tile and flooring for our unplanned home remodel. A leaking pipe has turned into a gutting of the master bath, new floors and countertops in the laundry room and kitchen and a new floor in the guest bathroom.

I then met someone about selling my truck and he gave me a cash deposit to hold it. I now have money to pay for our remodel. :(

The rest of the day was spent doing homework. WHile I was typing this up the power went out with a strange sound that we had never heard before and the generator at the Fire department next door went on. Turns out if someone loses a handful of metallic mylar balloons right under the power lines it can start some shit :embarrassed:

My oldest son is going thru a divorce ,so he and my oldest Grand Daughter spent the weekend with us. We had a great time: went to the Mall,out for dinner and played PS4. My son has a standing invite to spend the weekend with us whenever he has Lily. It was good for ALL of us
This afternoon i worked on tunes for tomorrow nites practice and killed time until Game of Thrones came on

what a fucking weekend :facepalm:

Gig at Newport Harbor Yacht Club. Nearly lost my shit when I discovered that the stage was a floating triangle not even big enough for all of our gear. Made it through the night without mishap but the constant bobbing around while playing and singing left me horribly sore in my legs and core muscles.

Turns out if someone loses a handful of metallic mylar balloons right under the power lines it can start some shit :embarrassed:

That floating stage looks crazy. I'm sure a lot of safety guidelines were overlooked for that one.

We had the same thing with a mylar balloon causing the power line behind my house to arc and started a pine tree on fire. This was a couple of months ago. The fire department and police had the street behind my house blocked off to put out the fire. I walked around to the side of my back house, which was right next to that tree, to make sure nothing was on fire. I had to squeeze between one of my bushes in the backyard and the back house and moved what looked like a green vine out of the way. A fireman came walking around the corner and yelled for me to get out of there. He pointed out I had just touched a downed wire. If it was live I would have instantly been fried. Fortunately they automatically switch off if there's an incident like that. Why they paint the damn wires green is completely insane to me. If I had died I would have killed those birthday party parents . . . or maybe haunted them.

After having been off for the week, and the Monday through Thursday part sucking absolute mammoth balls:

Friday - Hit the golf range in the morning. Took a shower, then ran some errands. Watched a bit of Fargo S3 (eh...).

Saturday - Mowed the lawn, then we met my folks for Chinese lunch (mom was in a spectacular mood rolleyes1 ). Got home, then at the wife's suggestion, went out and played some golf. First time out this year. Walked 18 holes, and my foot was just killing me at the end (probably age-related arthritis), but I had a fun time. Went home and took a shower, and flipped around the TV for a bit.

Sunday - Made breakfast, then we went to see the new Spidrman movie (very good). Came home and took a nap, then ordered pizza for dinner. Watched Game of Thrones end of last season, and Episode 1 of new season, and was not disappointed. Packed bag for work tomorrow: back to Minneapolis for a few days.

That floating stage looks crazy. I'm sure a lot of safety guidelines were overlooked for that one.

We had the same thing with a mylar balloon causing the power line behind my house to arc and started a pine tree on fire. This was a couple of months ago. The fire department and police had the street behind my house blocked off to put out the fire. I walked around to the side of my back house, which was right next to that tree, to make sure nothing was on fire. I had to squeeze between on of my bushes in the backyard and the back house and moved what looked like a green vine out of the way. A fireman came walking around the corner and yelled for me to get out of there. He pointed out I had just touched a downed wire. If it was live I would have instantly been fried. Fortunately they automatically switch off if there's an incident like that. Why they paint the damn wires green is completely insane to me. If I had died I would have killed those birthday party parents . . . or maybe haunted them.
Yeah. I was not amused. Especially since it was on the harbor side of the dock and not the sheltered side so not only did it bob around a bunch some dimwit tried to dock and tie up it it which pulled the shore power line out. Luckily GFI.

The power line thing is scary. I'd have beaten the neighbor to death with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Friday - Wife and I went to dinner. Then played some guitar.

Saturday - Walked the dog, some yard work and then went to a blues jam. After the jam I ran some errands.

Sunday - Went to see Spiderman. It was okay....sorry I am old school with The Amazing Spiderman Story. Some yard work and honey do's along with walking the dog in the evening instead of the morning.

Fri. Worked late into the morning doing job interviews. Went home to sleep. The brown truck delivered the winch for my Land Rover. I figured the UPS guys probably threw my new Gretsch around loading and unloading the truck so I figured I'd order a winch sent UPS. I don't think they threw it around, it weighed 84 pounds. Went to Mirror Lake State Park and wandered around aimlessly for a while. Went home and noodled around on the new Gretsch. Went to work. Even more short handed than normal. Drove bus.

Sat. Got up about when my wife got home from work. Took her to Madison to church and called the kid to see if he was still going to go to Fete de Marquette with us. He said he was called into work and couldn't go. He also said he had money he owed me and if I stopped by he'd give it to me. It was a good week for me with a lot of extra cash flow and now I was going to add to that by getting the couple hundred he owed me. Got there and he had $80. I always thought my identity was D-A-D but more and more I realize it is A-T-M. Went to the Fete, listened to some music, ate some food and went home. Fooled around with the Gretsch in between surfing this site. Went to work. All the way to work there was the most amazing lightening show I had ever seen. There were 10-15 flashes going on at any moment. You could just turn around and where ever you looked there was lightening. It went on for at least 15 minutes that I saw. No more than got into building and the rain came. Hard. Streets in town were closed due to flooding. Clint Black played by us so we were busy. Cheech and Chong were at a theater in town and a bunch of our guests went so we were running buses there also. My new bus driver that I found out only had a CDL learners permit resigned so I did his paperwork.

Sun. Got home and watched the F-1 race from lap 12 on. Went to sleep. Got up. Wife wasn't home yet so I went out hoping to find some mud from last nights rain but everything had dried up. Wife came home and she wanted to go back to the Fete because there were some foods she wanted to try. So we drove 50 miles to eat and listen to some zydeco on one stage and a rock style band from NOLA that had sousaphones and other brass on the other stage. Could barely keep my eyes open on the way home. Wife went out back to pick some raspberries and before she got in I was asleep on the couch. Alarm went off and I hit the snooze. Barely made it in on time. Not doing a whole lot. Saving my energy. I'm off the next couple of days and if my winch mounting plate shows up I'll spend my off days working on mounting the winch on the Rover.

That was quite a weekend Mark. :eek:

Friday - Carol had to get up at 4:30 AM to leave for Florida. Her uncle, who was in his 90s, passed away a few weeks ago, so she went with her mother and one of her brothers for the memorial service. I couldn't get back to sleep. I eventually went to work until 4:embarrassed:0. Then I came how, changed, loaded some stuff in the car and made to 90-minute trip to Lowell. The gig at the Hearing Room went well, I made some good money and got some wonderful feedback from a songwriter in the audience. Here are a couple of clips, including a rare cover tune:

Saturday - I had some clients in the morning, then came home and worked with video from the gig. For some reason the camera did not record continuously, and some things were lost. The lighting was not great and the camera went out of focus a few times, but it at least captured some of the night. Spent quality time with the cats, who kept looking for Carol to walk in the door. (She comes back Tuesday night,)

Sunday - Got up and went to church. In the afternoon I went to Homefield Brewing in nearby Sturbridge for lunch and to hear The Lonesome Brothers. For this gig they did not have the drummer but did have a piano player. They are a lot of fun, and the stage banter is entertaining.

I came home and was chilling when a song idea started forming. I finished writing it, popped over to the studio and recorded it, ending up with seven tracks for Sonik to work with. Looks like I will have a July entry for the Songwriter's thread after all. :hippie:

I have a feeling I am going to be doing two new CDs, one more acoustic and one with more instrumentation.

Saturday - worked until 2, gave the apartment a clean sweep down fore and aft, then spent way too much money on a guitar and luthier tools...

Sunday - morning romp followed by an afternoon and evening filled with a serious lack of motivation...

Friday. Dealt with Mom in the hospital.

Saturday. Dealt with getting mom out of hospital. Shes home and now on a walker. Figuring out next steps. In 48 years she missed my birthday. I didnt say anything. Its a sign of her declining health.

Saturday night. Went to my birthday dinner with current GF of over 4 years. She decides to tell me she is done with me just to cap the end of a shit week.

Sunday. Practiced with the new band. Next practice will ne nothing but starting songs, ending songs to tighten up the band.

Sad thing is I sort of liked this miserable past week because it made me lose weight.

Saturday. Dealt with getting mom out of hospital. Shes home and now on a walker. Figuring out next steps. In 48 years she missed my birthday. I didnt say anything. Its a sign of her declining health.

Saturday night. Went to my birthday dinner with current GF of over 4 years. She decides to tell me she is done with me just to cap the end of a shit week.

Sunday. Practiced with the new band. Next practice will ne nothing but starting songs, ending songs to tighten up the band.

Sad thing is I sort of liked this miserable past week because it made me lose weight.
Mojo, followed by more mojo, served with a side of mojo...

Happy Birthday!:Wave:

Friday - arrived in Gatwick from St Lucia (8 hour flight). Jumped in car, drove home - 9 hours (Mrs JBJ doesn't drive :facepalm:) got home mid afternoon, she went right to bed, I decided I didn't want to wake up in the middle of the night and be up so I went out for a few beers to watch the football.

Saturday - milled around the house not unpacking in the morning. Wedding gig that night. Initially a bit wary as I hadn't met the couple which is really rare and she seemed really uptight and bridezilla-ish when I arrive but it turned into a great evening - got my feedback in alright and the videos already hit 200+ youtube views :thu:

Sunday - thought I'd dropped my phone at a car stop on the way to my gig so drove over to the place and looked around. Nothing. Visited my dad and then my brother. My neice is 9 months old and freaks out every time she sees me and him together just now (we're twins) :grin:

Found my phone stuck in a nook in the car. Met my dad for some beers and then tied up with Mrs JBJ as our local was having karaoke. Got takeaway burgers and I managed to drop my patty inside the couch somewhere. Looked for it and couldn't find it and I still can't. The house stinks of burger!

Found my phone stuck in a nook in the car. Met my dad for some beers and then tied up with Mrs JBJ as our local was having karaoke. Got takeaway burgers and I managed to drop my patty inside the couch somewhere. Looked for it and couldn't find it and I still can't. The house stinks of burger!

We all need to invest in a toolbelt of some sort for you. Between your phone falling in the nooks and your buger falling in the nooks you need more pockets or something.

Friday took the day off work so we could drive up to NY where stayed at my parents.

Saturday, took my oldest for his long overdue birthday gift...Hamilton on Broadway. It was phenomenal. I did a purging by not listening to any of it for the last two-three weeks (it's been on regular rotation for the last year or so). We were slow getting out and our train potentially had us getting to Grand Central late...we got there to GCT at 1:45 and basically jogged to the Richard Rogers theater...got there sweaty and worried about time...we had 10 minutes to spare.

Seriously amazing show...non-stop music on the stage and from the pit. I'll do a separate thread with pics.

Sunday, drove home fearing getting stuck in beach traffic in Jersey and the construction that's making Delaware (despite its diminutive size) a bear to get through...made it home in great time.

Sorry for everything bad that went down. Dropping that bomb on your birthday was cold...just not cool.

Mojo :-\

Back