Weekend Wrapup

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
Gig at the Blue Beet Friday night - taught Saturday morning and the rest of the weekend has been practicing and family time. Today (Monday) was also the first day of summer school for my online GE classes so I'm spending some time getting back on track. I have a world history class for the next five weeks and then a class called "African American Music Appreciation" the next five weeks which I think I will also enjoy.

18671427_10155404817132425_8567386888315538041_o.jpg

18700471_10155404540737425_7065645292843136891_o.jpg

Bought a new pedal on Friday too:

img_4963-jpg.33798

Working with the dog trainer this morning:

IMG_5018.JPG

Friday-worked, then played a fill in gig .I couldn't get to my rehersal place to get my pedal board so I stuck a clip on tuner on the head stock and went straight into my Marshall Silver Jubilee combo amp. I changed channels for the solos and have to admit I was very surprised and happy at just how GOOD just plugging straight in sounded.

Saturday- Got my oldest granddaughter and spent the day with her. We went toy shopping at Toys R Us, got her nails done and ate at Moes. It was a very very good day

Sunday and Monday-played guitar,PS4 and hung out with my better half.

Friday: worked then quiet night at home with the Mrs.
Saturday: yard work, guitar lesson and another night at home.
Sunday: cookout for Mom's b-day then went to some friend's house to hang out for a little while.
Monday: lazy day of guitar, tv and the couch. Nothing better than hanging out with the dogs.

Worked Saturday, then home...

Sunday, went grocery shopping, spent a couple hours with my girl, then spent the day puttering around and watching motorsports...

Monday, sold a guitar, did fuck all otherwise...

Saturday: Yard-work all day.
Sunday: Yard-work all day, had a cookout.
Monday: It rained, so I was off the hook to finish up the yard-work. Rested.

Friday - got off work at 2:embarrassed:0 pm, came home watched a baseball game
Saturday - took Sonny on a 8.25 mile trail run. Left knee was a bit sore in the evening.
Sunday - Knee felt better, went to grocery store, went out to an early dinner with my dad. Came home wathced teh baseball. Left knee fine but now right knee hurt a bit.
Monday - Right knee still a bit sore but I took Sonny on a short walk..mistake. even though I short leashed him so he wouldn't zig zag and pull it was hell since he hadn't gone for a Saturday walk..dude was amped up. I cut it short. Relaxed around and at 2:embarrassed:0 pm I got the bright idea I'd paint the bathroom since I had a quart of paint (small bathroom, done it before with same amount). Well not only turns out I ended up not really liking the color but not my lower back is a bit sore as well as both knees. I have a half gallon of primer and a quart of Navajo white so this Saturday i will repaint it back to white :embarrassed: :fml:

Friday, rode 42 miles.
Saturday, rode 48 miles.
Sunday, rode 44 miles.

During the Meet Your Muslim Neighbor gathering Saturday at the Clear Lake library, a full of anger deplorable fired off some nasty questions (typical hand cutting off, public stonings, etc.). To the credit of those who organized the event, they calmly answered the questions with grace. Mr. deplorable couldn't help himself and angrily continued, so my wife stands up and shames him into silence with a few common sense statements. The rest of the forum was fairly uneventful. Afterward, several Muslim attendees warmly thanked us for our defensive stance and solidarity. At least Mr. Deplorable stayed around for some one on one education with the panel, so hopefully he left with a better understanding of Islamic facts versus fiction.
Even after some basic study of many religions, I walked away with a much better understanding of The Quran and my Muslim neighbors. I watched how families love their children. It was obvious that we have far more in common than we have differences. We all breath the same air.

The Sunday night open house was incredible. We toured the facility, shared the Ramadan fast break snacks at sundown, and were allowed in the prayer rooms during prayer. It was both powerful and enlightening. They invited us to stay for dinner. So many warm and friendly families created an incredible energy. This was the most positive event I've ever experienced in any house of worship in my 54 laps around the Sun.

Spent most of the weekend visiting friends and playing golf in Georgetown, TX.

Monday came home early and did a Memorial Day cookout with Mom. Watched the Astros pull off a comeback from being 6 runs down in the 8th inning, ended up winning 16-8. Historical note: the franchise is now 1-659 in games they have trailed by 6 or more runs going into the 8th inning. :grin:

Friday - took the day off. Planned to do more garage work, but ended up burning the day running errands. I got the oak stair treads and trim to do the stairs that lead from our kitchen to the family room. So, I'll be learning how to do that job soon. Picked up some bacon from the farmers market, some booze from the liquor store, bird treats from the pet store, butter from the grocery store. Sounds like a wild party, huh? At some point during the day the bird bit me on the neck.

Saturday - did some work in the garage and got my storage cabinets properly mounted on the wall and did some general cleanup. Went to a friend's 50th birthday party and then out to see the band with same friend. At some point during the day, the bird bit me on the neck.

Sunday - late start to the day. Planned to do more work in the garage. While talking over the plans for the kitchen and family room redo, the bird bit me on the neck. Right in the throat. I reacted and swatted him away. Pissed me off and upset me at the same time. I lost my drive to do anything and went and had a nap. Later in the day, we took him for a ride in the NewYorker. He seemed to like it and found it calming. He was dozing off after a while. I'm not sure if it was the fresh air or the carbon monoxide. :P Kidding. We had windows open the whole time and we were rarely stopped for more than a stop light with the engine running. The droning note of the exhaust system may have been calming.

Monday - was a work day here. Long day of conference calls. Spent a lot of time with the bird, scratching his head and neck to remove the pin feathers. He goes into nap mode when I do this. When he wakes up, he tries to bite my finger. I can't stand him being on my shoulder now. I don't trust him. We'll get it sorted out, but we are looking to make an appointment with the vet to get his beak shaped. He needs it, but we also want to get the tip dulled just a touch.

Friday: Stayed home and took the kid to the doctor for antibiotics

Saturday: Took kid to a park

Sunday: Took kid to a different park. Had a drink with a friend who moved back to NYC, and is now going to live in my neighborhood.

Monday: Kid woke up at 3:30 am and wanted to play. So we did. He then took a long morning nap. Took kid to street fair. Had baklava cheesecake.

Friday 5/26/2017: Up at 8 a.m. to walk the dog and then had breakfast with my wife while watching the news. Then wasted some time on the computer. Great weather so I put the lawn mower on the rack and greased the steering and the deck and then mowed the grass. Walked the dog and then wasted some time on the computer. Bought a bunch of mulch the day before. Put the mulch bags down where I’m going to spread. My wife cooked steaks on the grill and put together a killer lunch. I walked the dog and then wasted some time on the computer. Rewired my pedal boards and rearranged my amps to make it easier to mic.

Saturday 5/27/17: Was lazy today. Dusted ceiling fans, read a couple of magazines (National Geo and Guitar World. Played guitar for a couple of hours until I had sweet dripping off my nose. Been a long time since I had done that. Had a long cable too and walk around the house as I played. I used to do that all the time. Gregg Allman died today and tears ran down my face as I read what Warren Hayes had to say about it. Went to see my mom and filled her med trays for the week.

Sunday 5/28/17: Today’s plans included having some family over to cook out. Expecting them around 11:30a.m. Well, they showed up 2 hours early. WTFM! Regardless, a good time was had by all and they left earlier than expected too. Otherwise, it’s been race day around here watching both the Indy 500 and Coke a Cola 600. Family wanted to see my studio and guitars. Usually, no one is allowed into the inner-sanctum world that is Mike Sr., but today it was permitted. You need to understand that I could have told them that this or that guitar was played by King Tut back in the day and no difference would have been noticed nor one more damn would have been give. It was that’s a pretty color on that. How pretty, it changes colors and holy cow that’s a lot of guitars. Shit like that. In all, a good time was had by all.

Monday 5/28/17: Awoke this morning the timely dog standing on my chest looking me in the eyes. So we walked and afterward I hung my U.S. Flag from my deck. Watched the news and read the Warren Hayes article in Guitar World. Uploaded Protools updates then read all the latest gossip on the guitar forums. Made a dust cover for my pedalboards and acoustic amp. Made some adjustments on a guitar and had burgers from the grill for lunch. Cleaned up some, hung some pictures and watched T.V. Ended the day by playing guitar for a couple hours.

Well damn Mark, with all that spare time in your schedule I can't understand why in the world your back yard would be on the procrastination list.
Lol. Until last month it still had a pile of junk left over from the store and the remodel. I had to quit watering the lawn shortly after we got the dogs because between them and the gardener (yes, I pay someone $15 a week to mow my not very giant lawn) they had broken three sprinkler heads. I've gotten them fixed but the grass is going to stay mostly brown through the summer I think. We had the shed installed 3-4 months ago and I still need to put the lattice trim around the bottom too. My father-in-law is going to help me with that though.

Friday night Mellow.

Saturday
, did chores, cleaned up the boat and learned how and then changed oil and de-winterized. Not too hard. Just took me all day as I didn't know what I was doing. Next time will be faster. Then took my boy to go see Alien Covenant, which was "okay". And that night, worked on installing my bindings and setting up my fin on my slalom waterski.

844182DC-563A-49D7-A089-6F91E6B3E36C_zpsv75tpuo1.jpg~original

Sunday, Was invited to ski at a private lake, and went and had my first run of the year. Very fun! And very nice spot. Then, got prepared with hose, shovels, etc., and had myself (with help from my wife) a good, redneck slash pile fire. Even put a couple old pallets on. Burned until mid evening, cooked over the remains (well after the pallets were gone, and had a keystone light or two to complete the look.

E6EF3745-DFAB-413F-B24C-CE7FA69D7240_zpstddtfmts.jpg~original

C31F4987-176C-4AD0-A407-1669691CB44A_zpszumth4nj.jpg~original

Monday- took a quick dog hike, then my wife, daughter and I took the boat for a shakedown cruise. Had a blowout flat on the Suburban on the way, and had AAA help me out. Their jack worked better on the soft shoulder. Continued on, and skied (daughter wakeboarded) in the runoff from the snowfields. Beautiful, but chilly. The wetsuits we got worked well.

294FEB93-91AC-4EA8-BF01-CF9DA18E4E18_zps9ln6zn1n.jpg~original

25304BDD-DB17-4C4F-8A10-925B68A894C9_zpstawcaie6.jpg~original

And my teak restoration held up nicely and looked good too!

8CB0B9B9-B2AB-4D1D-BCE0-A82AE4F5BAA0_zpsq0kv6dbq.jpg~original

Home, cleaned up the boat and put it away, pulled hoses back in, etc. Got ready for bed, sleep. Felt very sore from skiing.

Last edited:
Lol. Until last month it still had a pile of junk left over from the store and the remodel. I had to quit watering the lawn shortly after we got the dogs because between them and the gardener (yes, I pay someone $15 a week to mow my not very giant lawn) they had broken three sprinkler heads. I've gotten them fixed but the grass is going to stay mostly brown through the summer I think. We had the shed installed 3-4 months ago and I still need to put the lattice trim around the bottom too. My father-in-law is going to help me with that though.
$15 a week to mow my not very giant lawn

Worth every penny.

Friday, rode 42 miles.
Saturday, rode 48 miles.
Sunday, rode 44 miles.

During the Meet Your Muslim Neighbor gathering Saturday at the Clear Lake library, a full of anger deplorable fired off some nasty questions (typical hand cutting off, public stonings, etc.). To the credit of those who organized the event, they calmly answered the questions with grace. Mr. deplorable couldn't help himself and angrily continued, so my wife stands up and shames him into silence with a few common sense statements. The rest of the forum was fairly uneventful. Afterward, several Muslim attendees warmly thanked us for our defensive stance and solidarity. At least Mr. Deplorable stayed around for some one on one education with the panel, so hopefully he left with a better understanding of Islamic facts versus fiction.
Even after some basic study of many religions, I walked away with a much better understanding of The Quran and my Muslim neighbors. I watched how families love their children. It was obvious that we have far more in common than we have differences. We all breath the same air.

The Sunday night open house was incredible. We toured the facility, shared the Ramadan fast break snacks at sundown, and were allowed in the prayer rooms during prayer. It was both powerful and enlightening. They invited us to stay for dinner. So many warm and friendly families created an incredible energy. This was the most positive event I've ever experienced in any house of worship in my 54 laps around the Sun.
Admittedly, I don't know much about Islam, but In my little experience I have found most religions to be more similar than dissimilar.

A buddy of mine came down from Sacto. I picked him up from the airport, then we hit Shakespeare Pub for a pint and some grub, then we had a few whiskeys whilst playing a game of RISK, then off to the House of Blues for dinner (fried calamari, fantastic New York strip steak, mashed taters), a few more whiskeys, Yngwie Malmsteen live, then back home to finish the RISK game (I kicked his ass).
Mellowed out the next day. Watched Assassin's Creed (kinda lame) and Get Out (really good).

Back