Weekend Wrapup

Went hiking in Borrego Springs and camped at Agua Caliente. Cooked hot dogs on the fire, roasted marshmallows, made breakfast on the Coleman stove the next morning. The whole nine yards.
Mellowed on Sunday after we got home.

Friday - Dinner with two of my brothers and our spouses at the restaurant they are fixing (consulting chef and kitchen manager); then we all went to another place to watch this guy perform: http://www.myspace.com/557806557
He's a friend of the family.

Saturday - guitar lesson - worked on a bunch of RUSH songs because I have a new book. Worked on my amplifier some more.

Sunday - worked some more on my amp. Picked up my daughter from work and took her to an empty parking lot for some driving practice. That ended with "Brakes, Brakes, BRAKES, BRAKES, BRAKES" but she did all right otherwise.

Sunday - worked some more on my amp. Picked up my daughter from work and took her to an empty parking lot for some driving practice. That ended with "Brakes, Brakes, BRAKES, BRAKES, BRAKES" but she did all right otherwise.

I am so not looking forward to that day. My oldest wont' be so bad, she is very cautious. My youngest is a thrill seeker, so that should be heart attack inducing.

I had a rather action packed weekend

Friday- OK Friday wasn't so action packed

Saturday - Woke up, packed my camping gear, and drove a few hours to meet an old friend for some camping. Due to some unforseen logistical issues (locked access gate) we had to mount an assault on the treacherous southern face the 2manband family mountain. This meant that we had to climb about 550 feet in about 1/2 mile instead of the normal leisurely stroll out along the flat ridgeline. I did it twice actually - once with my backpack, and then I came back for my beer cooler and water jug. So that was a bitch. But my cache of gear from last fall was unmolested, so we had some pretty comfortable camping once we got there. Great view of Lake Raystown, nice weather, full moon, saw some wildlife, etc. Of course I ate too much grilled meat and drank 87,000 beers.

Sunday - campfire breakfast, then packed everything out (one trip, much easier going downhill with empty coolers). Made a detour by the parent's place on the way home to pick up my dad's (formerly grandfather's) Troy Built rototiller. Got home in the mid afternoon and spent a few hours tilling up about 1000 SF of yard for my second garden. Worked great. Just waiting on my big ass load of compost to get delivered, and I will be a gardening fool. Was dead tired and crashed about 9:embarrassed:0.

I haven't done this in a while...

Friday - Worked from 8:embarrassed:0 - 4:embarrassed:0. Went home and pretty much chilled out. My Thursdays have me working from 10:30 AM to 9:30 PM with a 40 minute commute each way, so I was pretty wiped out. :eek:

Saturday - Went back into Springfield to teach a Driver's Alcohol Education class from 10:embarrassed:0 AM - 12:embarrassed:0 pm, then back to my private practice where I got stood up by two clients. Later Carol and went to Mindful Books and Epehemera in Jaffrey, New Hampshire for the poetry reading I wrote about in an other post. It is good to see Carol start to go out places to read her work; she has written some wonderful poems, none of which refer to sex organs. :embarrassed:

Sunday - Drove to Northampton to Noho Banjo. One of the tuning key buttons on the banjo disintegrated in may hand as I went to tune it. Bruce popped a new botton on it, threw five more into the case and wouldn't charge a penny for it, stating, "It's one of mine. I always take care of my banjos." We stopped at Micahels craft store both on the way to and back from Noho. Later Carol went out for a ceremony and I stayed home and watched some old Hootenany TV show DVDs. SOme good stuff and some real groaners. Amazing how Pete Seeger wasn't allowed on the show, yet several of his songs were sung by others and it seemed that most every group with a banjo played had a Pete Seeger long-neck Vega banjo. :tongue:

Well... Last Wednesday afternoon, I left town, drove 300 miles, and stayed in a Motel 6... Thursday, I drove another 300 miles to arrive at my 86 year old dad's house in Southern California... My buddy showed up to receive his new jazz-tele I built him, and we went out for sushi... Yum... Friday, I wasted time, another friend came over, we started in drinking beer at one in the afternoon, and jammed on the guitar... By Saturday morning, I was already so overwhelmed with the city, and knowing that a huge storm was on its way, I cut short my trip and left, driving 300 miles, but stayed at a nicer motel... Sunday, I returned, glad to be back in the mountains, far from the chaos of the big city...

So, mission accomplished... I dropped off the two guitars, and spent some time with my old, frail dad, who has been recovering for the last 6 weeks from a fall that crushed two of his vertebra... He can barely walk, is short of breath, has two stints, and a pacemaker... It is sad to see this from the man that was such a hard-ass to me when I was growing up... He was really glad to see me, however...

So, it's now Monday, the last day of my weekend, and there is a foot of new snow... That is the part I don't like about living up here...

Friday - Lax scrimmage - then a bar
Saturday - Replaced lights around the house - outside and inside - LAX practice - Then out to dinner with the family
Sunday - Soccer Pactice - then in-laws over for dinner

Dude, the salmon sounds delicious.

It was pretty good. I did it with a teriyaki and garlic marinade so it taste good but I wont do the skewers again. Too much hassle. Next time I'll just cook the salmon and pineapple separate and serve it in chunks or something.

Friday - Finished Weber 5E7M build with the new correct tubes. Amp sounds awesome as I finished in time to use for a 2.5 hour rehearsal for an upcoming gig next Saturday.

Saturday - Exercised and then took my son to Mark's blues class. I let my son use the amp for class and Mark got a chance to sample it first hand. In the afternoon, my wife and I attended a blues jam party which was awesome because the weather stayed clear enough where the rain did not fall.

Sunday - I played Sloth and chilled it. The whole day was rain with winds up to 33 mph. Had to runout to the local stores to pickup odds and ends for the home. What made it really fun was at 6:30pm we lost power. Electricity was not restored until 11:30pm of which we woke to a blairing TV and lights.

I'm jealous of all the camping that went on this wknd. Greg and I are not too far from it.

Worked in the yard, looked at the supermoon, refinished towel racks for the bathroom, and went out to run errands and got stranded on the side of the road when my car died.

We bought a new $80 backpacking tent a couple of weeks ago.

It got delivered, and it weighs more than our old cheap tent. :messedup:

So, we put it up in our living room to see how big it was. One of the fiberglass poles split as we were putting it up. :mad:

So, I have a return label for the pole, but haven't shipped it back yet.

In the mean time, we went to the local outdoors store. Found a $30 tent that is almost as big, and weighs 2 pounds less than the $80 one. Put it up in the living room, and the poles are still intact.

So, we're probably going to keep the $80 one, but it use it for camping where we don't have to schlep gear too far.

How an $80 backpacking tent is that much bulkier and heavier than a $30 tent, I just don't know. I mean, we were supposed to be paying more for light weight and portability.

Had a much quieter weekend than last week's hospitalization, thank goodness. Watched a lot of March Madness-- when awake.

Friday: took off work sick and slept most all day, except for a trip into the chemo lab for a shot to boost white blood cells (last of 3 shots given Wed, Th and F).

Saturday: slept most all day, except for a belated birthday movie with El Krashpadito, saw Battle: Los Angeles. Not as bad as I thought it'd be, but basically like being in a video game, crossed with a recruiting commercial for the Jarheads. :grin:

Sunday: slept most all day, except for two trips outside Casa Krashpad. First was a trip to church to pick up my gear that'd been unintentionally abandoned in the choir loft last weekend when I went to hospital. Had to track it down, as my bandmates had thoughtfully moved it to a safer location where it could be locked up in my absence. That was around noon.

At 7 p.m. my daughter and I went in to my office for a Pedagogy side band practice. Learned that first two bands on the bill for this Friday's show (we open) only get a 30-minute set, but that's cool because we pared it down to our strongest material. Practice was 2 hours, including set-up and tear-down, which included running the set twice, with repeats on problem areas.

Was totally shagged out after practice, but the good news is that this set rawks! Plus, this will be my daughter's first-ever rock band show in public (she's jammed at a party before with me and some friends), so I'm very excited for her. Another plus, is that this will be the band's debut as a four-piece; before we were a trio with me playing bass (daughter is taking my place), now I'm moving to guitar. The songs rock a lot harder with guitar throughout rather than our keyboardist playing the occasional song on guitar. And the last plus is that this will be my first rock band gig since Oct. 14, 2010, before all this big c mess started last year, I'ma 'bout to asplode!

Woke up this morning and felt much better than I had all weekend, possibly the new pain patch I put on last night. I'm back, bay-bee!

Had a much quieter weekend than last week's hospitalization, thank goodness. Watched a lot of March Madness-- when awake.

Friday: took off work sick and slept most all day, except for a trip into the chemo lab for a shot to boost white blood cells (last of 3 shots given Wed, Th and F).

Saturday: slept most all day, except for a belated birthday movie with El Krashpadito, saw Battle: Los Angeles. Not as bad as I thought it'd be, but basically like being in a video game, crossed with a recruiting commercial for the Jarheads. :grin:

Sunday: slept most all day, except for two trips outside Casa Krashpad. First was a trip to church to pick up my gear that'd been unintentionally abandoned in the choir loft last weekend when I went to hospital. Had to track it down, as my bandmates had thoughtfully moved it to a safer location where it could be locked up in my absence. That was around noon.

At 7 p.m. my daughter and I went in to my office for a Pedagogy side band practice. Learned that first two bands on the bill for this Friday's show (we open) only get a 30-minute set, but that's cool because we pared it down to our strongest material. Practice was 2 hours, including set-up and tear-down, which included running the set twice, with repeats on problem areas.

Was totally shagged out after practice, but the good news is that this set rawks! Plus, this will be my daughter's first-ever rock band show in public (she's jammed at a party before with me and some friends), so I'm very excited for her. Another plus, is that this will be the band's debut as a four-piece; before we were a trio with me playing bass (daughter is taking my place), now I'm moving to guitar. The songs rock a lot harder with guitar throughout rather than our keyboardist playing the occasional song on guitar. And the last plus is that this will be my first rock band gig since Oct. 14, 2010, before all this big c mess started last year, I'ma 'bout to asplode!

Woke up this morning and felt much better than I had all weekend, possibly the new pain patch I put on last night. I'm back, bay-bee!

Chemo sucks, but it is better than the alternative. I did my round when I was 4, I can't imagine how hard it is as an adult.

On the bright side, you get to not only see your daughter's first show, but get to participate in it. I hope my kids end up playing music and I hope they don't I am too lame to jam with them.

Chemo sucks, but it is better than the alternative. I did my round when I was 4, I can't imagine how hard it is as an adult.

4 years old? Yikes, I would think that would be much worse than as an adult. Frankly, in my case it was the radiation, much moreso than the chemo (to the extent I can separate the 2, which were done concurrently) that knocked my dick in the dirt.

On the bright side, you get to not only see your daughter's first show, but get to participate in it. I hope my kids end up playing music and I hope they don't think I am too lame to jam with them.

Yet another thing I have to be grateful for. I get along with my kids musically really well. I suss them to new bands, and they've developed really interesting individual tastes. I'm hoping my son will get interested in playing as well, but right now he's got too much schoolwork to do, and is more interested in girls and skateboarding. He knows I'll help him learn and give him one of my guitars if he pursues it. My daughter got a little bit of starting-up help, first on drums (which she didn't stick with), which I really can't play, and then on bass. After some rudimentary pointers, she's basically taught herself bass. Since she's our church backup bassist, she doesn't blink at performing in front of a couple hundred people, so hopefully she won't have any nerves (I'm sure there'll be far fewer than that at our show). It helps that she's done some community theatre with adult actors, when she was in elementary and middle school, too.

Last edited:
4 years old? Yikes, I would think that would be much worse than as an adult. Frankly, in my case it was the radiation, much moreso than the chemo (to the extent I can separate the 2, which were done concurrently) that knocked my dick in the dirt.

Yet another thing I have to be grateful for. I get along with my kids musically really well. I suss them to new bands, and they've developed really interesting individual tastes. I'm hoping my son will get interested in playing as well, but right now he's got too much schoolwork to do, and is more interested in girls and skateboarding. He knows I'll help him learn and give him one of my guitars if he pursues it. My daughter got a little bit of starting-up help, first on drums (which she didn't stick with), which I really can't play, and then on bass. After some rudimentary pointers, she's basically taught herself bass. Since she's our church backup bassist, she doesn't blink at performing in front of a couple hundred people, so hopefully she won't have any nerves (I'm sure there'll be far fewer than that at our show). It helps that she's done some community theatre with adult actors, when she was in elementary and middle school, too.

Well at 4, you really don't know whats going on or how bad it is, so there isn't as much to deal with and you really don't know what you are going through isn't something everyone goes through. Now that I have kids, I can't imagine what my mom went through. And yes, the radiation was the worst of it. The chemo only made me lose my hair and puke a lot.

Once your son learns how much playing in a band attracts the girls, he will be all over it. :grin:

And yes, the radiation was the worst of it. The chemo only made me lose my hair and puke a lot.

Those are the biggies with chemo, and I lucked out, did not throw up once, and only hair loss I had was entry/exit from radiation. Have a small thin patch on the back of my neck, and a very weird growth pattern on beard now, which I guess will eventually come back.

Once your son learns how much playing in a band attracts the girls, he will be all over it. :grin:

Haha, you're probably right! He's already got these two at his disposal 24/7, but hasn't been using them:

90598563_113a47e647_o.jpg

laney-tf100-001.jpg

I would play that Tele EVERY DAY!!!!! :love:

That's Violet, my Frankentele. A buddy of mine sold her to me for a Benjamin when he needed some bucks to finish up mixing a recording. Seymour Duncan mini-HB in the neck slot. His son had Townshended her, and he had turned her from a toploader into a string-through with a hand drill and a chisel! Took me another $50 or so in parts/setup to get her playable.

FrankenteleRearSmaller.jpg

FrankenteleTopSmaller.jpg

I reckon there's nothing he can do to her she hasn't already seen.

Back