Weekend Wrapup

I'm warning you now - chess is like crack - you'll never fully get over it. I spent a couple of years in semi-serious chess study on my own. Played tournaments, beat a few good players. Then I just ran out of time to study when the kids started coming....

i stayed up until 3am getting my ass kicked. :annoyed:

Photobucket

...then went to Charleston for a hash run.

Apparently, this means something different than what I was thinking.
:wink:

As for me, worked a little on drums/bass for a new tune, went out to a great dinner for our anniversary (11 years), and watched a pipe organ show and visited a museum at Balboa Park.
:)

Friday: Went downtown to PF Changs and drank IPAs and unfiltered sake with my wife, and bro and sis-in law. Had a great time. I hadn't been in downtown Denver in a loooong time, over a year at least.

Saturday: Went downtown AGAIN, saw my buddies Clash cover band. They "rocked the Casbah". I saw several people from the old Denver punk scene that I hadn't seen in prolly 15 - 20 years. I was standing outside getting some fresh air between sets and a lady walked up to me and said, "Are you Sean?". It was a girl I went to elementary school with! That was crazy. The show was a benefit for an art gallery...interesting crowd.

Sunday: Got up, went to church. Came home, crashed. Woke up, watched My Neighbor Totoro with the kids and them went to the Basement of Rock and learned to play Brand New Cadillac and Train in Vain (rythym parts). Train in Vain will be a lot of fun when the looper arrives!

Good weekend.

Did you get one or two?

Which game? :embarrassed: I got both originals. I heard how great ME2 was, figured on trying it, wanted to play the original first. Assassin's Creed was more of a whim. It was between that and Ghostbusters, and I was just in the mood for something more serious. Both seem like games I would really like a lot. I got about an hour or 2 into Mass Effect but the sound issues are killing it for me. Assassin's Creed is one I am going to have to spend a lot of time with getting the controls just how I want them. I bet theyre pretty good on a console, but they do NOT translate well to kb/mouse.

Which game? :embarrassed: I got both originals. I heard how great ME2 was, figured on trying it, wanted to play the original first. Assassin's Creed was more of a whim. It was between that and Ghostbusters, and I was just in the mood for something more serious. Both seem like games I would really like a lot. I got about an hour or 2 into Mass Effect but the sound issues are killing it for me. Assassin's Creed is one I am going to have to spend a lot of time with getting the controls just how I want them. I bet theyre pretty good on a console, but they do NOT translate well to kb/mouse.

ACII is generally considered to me a HUGE improvement and better game overall than ACI. Most people I know never finished ACI but loved ACII. EVen then, the controls were a bit awkward at first, but once you learn more assassination techniques and unlock different weapons, it makes a lot more sense.

Spent Friday afternoon/evening and all day Saturday at a writing workshop.

Saturday night involved about 15 people from the workshop drinking and eating in my kitchen until 5am. A couple of the guys from Kids in the Hall were there.

...really? thats pretty awesome...who was there?...

Friday: Me and a few friends went downtown after work since the students were still away for Spring break. Saw a local 80's cover band called Velveeta and drank too much beer

Saturday: Installed new 32" HD TV. It was raining here all weekend and my basement had the usual river of water flowing through it. It was not fun standing in water close to the fuse box while installing a cable splitter. I live life on the edge...

Sunday: Ate corned beef and cabbage with the folks then rehearsed 5 hours with band for a party we are playing this upcoming Saturday. I think we have 20 songs worked out well enough for our little set. Found out we are playing for a biker party...some group called ABATE. I also learned that there will be free food at this event...so free food = cool biker gang

ACII is generally considered to me a HUGE improvement and better game overall than ACI. Most people I know never finished ACI but loved ACII. EVen then, the controls were a bit awkward at first, but once you learn more assassination techniques and unlock different weapons, it makes a lot more sense.

Ive read that the first one has its shortcomings but it seemed like one I wanted to try.

Friday: Met up with the bassist and a prospective drummer for this new band that's forming. Nice guys. We met at a BW3's and I forgot that the Big Ten Basketball Tourney was on and the Cavs were on at 7. The place was chock full o' bros. Lots of fist bumps were had by all.

Saturday: Sold some really nice furniture that we'd had for 5 years and never sat on. Went and bought a sectional with the money, but it won't deliver until Mid April. That'll give me time to put hardwood in the living room and dining room. Primered the kids room.

Sunday: Painted the primered room. I just need to paint the trim, re-install it, put in a new door and closet door and I'm done. Three to go. Visited a neighbor whose husband collects Porsches. He had a 1959 356 that was absolutely perfect. A 1985 Carrera DE (the DE designates Driver's Education...it was used to teach people to race), and a 2003 GT3.

We didn't drive any, but he's promised to take me up to Mid-Ohio Raceway this summer and let me drive with an instructor.

Sunday: Ate corned beef and cabbage with the folks then rehearsed 5 hours with band for a party we are playing this upcoming Saturday. I think we have 20 songs worked out well enough for our little set. Found out we are playing for a biker party...some group called ABATE. I also learned that there will be free food at this event...so free food = cool biker gang

learn some Steppenwolf and ZZ Top :embarrassed:

Well, Andy Jones was never really part of the cast. He was a writer/performer on the final season. But he's a Canadian celebrity anyway, mainly on account of CODCO. I've known him for years, on account of Rare Birds and some other stuff.

Yeah, they were funny.

But pretty much everyone there was funny, too, in their own way. Dozens of great stories were told, involving everyone from Samuel Beckett to John Hurt to William Hurt, etc.

Friday we signed the papers to re-finance the house. It almost didn't seem real, sign papers for 45 minutes and save 230 thousand dollars.

Saturday the weather was terrible so I went into mondo spring cleaning mode and cleaned the entire house from top to bottom. Around 4 I went to the Y and pounded out 40 laps in the pool. Then I went home and marinated some salmon fillets in sirracha, soy sauce, sesame oil and orange juice and cooked it a pan and made garlic mashed potatoes and steamed broccoli. Saturday night I drank some Guiness, and did laundry while remixing some recordings.

Sunday I met my breaux at the Y and we played racquetball from 1-3. It was fun, when we played last week I absolutely whipped the shit out of him 6 games to none but he brought some more game yesterday. I like to win but not too easily, very competitive games yesterday. Then I went home, took a shower, vigorously shagged Mrs. Hump, detailed my car and trimmed back some plants in the yard in case spring ever arrives. For dinner I marinated two pork loins, one in chipoltle adobo sauce and one with olive oil and herbs. I then smoked them on my grill for an hour and had leftover mashed potatoes and asparagus.

It was fun but now I'm really tired.

Friday - not much of anything.

Saturday- woke up with a cold. Went to the office, saw a couple of clients, picked up the guitar from the shop, and spent a lot of time in bed.

Sunday - felt sicker, spent most of the day in bed. :(

Back