Weekend wrap up

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
Friday - gig at the Blue Beet

Saturday work and then early Valentine's Day with Mrs W

Sunday - audition for Cal State Fullerton jazz studies department.

Friday - worked and then went out to see the band.
Saturday - My wife had a movie afternoon with her sister, my sister, our daughter. I did some computer work.
Sunday - went to my daughter's work for Sunday brunch. Ate too much. Picked up some groceries. Watched the football game.

Shit, I wrote grants the whole weekend. Like 7 am to midnight every day. I just stopped for tonight and it is 2:30 am. I guess we need to eliminate those research careers and get serious about curing diseases.

Shit, I wrote grants the whole weekend. Like 7 am to midnight every day. I just stopped for tonight and it is 2:30 am. I guess we need to eliminate those research careers and get serious about curing diseases.

:lol: I knew you'd like that one.

Fri. Went to Madison to get my glasses repaired. Dropped son off at his part time house( a friends where he goes to hang out a few days a week). Went to Trader Joe's, then to a regular grocery store then home and to work.

Sat. Took wife to church in Madison. Checked out new GC while she was in church. On way out of town saw 3 coyotes cutting across frozen pond, parked and waited for them. They came out less than 30 feet from car. Never saw a coyote in the wild before. Came home, crashed out for a couple of hours and went to work.

Sun. Got up and we went out to enjoy the nice day. Warm by Wisconsin in February standards. Almost 40. Went for a walk along the riverwalk in Wisconsin Dells. Then went to Devil's Lake State Park and went for a walk out on the lake. Went home and didn't watch the game. Slept and went to work.

Friday: got off work atv1, so I could order the wife's birthday (FEB16) cake.

Saturday: back spasm put the kibosh on my plans to do any actual work. Finished latest Ian Rankin novel.

Sunday: watched first episode of this season of "Longmire", visited MIL, wathe Super Bowl.

Friday - "worked" from home.

Saturday - coupla errands. Watched Blackhawks win.

Sunday - did some Sunday vehicle window-shopping. Interesting the number of vehicles left unlocked :wink:. Made some chicken legs in the crock pot, then hit 'em with the broiler. Watched one of the most boring SBs in recent memory.

Drove out to the observatory site in the sticks for an astronomy mission. That pretty much took up the whole weekend. It was great though, really clear. Saw a couple new (to me) objects, including Thor's Helmet.:tinfoil:

When we got home and had the garage open for a while unloading, a kitteh showed up and tried to adopt us. Cute little fellar and I felt like a rat having to turn him away. Seemed like he already had a home though, he was clean and flea-free.

Saturday - wrapped myself in a blanket and alternated sleeping and staring at the TV...

Sunday - finally felt almost human again...went to the grocery store, did some laundry...went to s kids' birthday party for the afternoon...watched the lousiest football game of the year, in bed by the 4th quarter...

Friday - Had class at school, then to the office where most appointments cancelled due to snow. Got home at 5:30, had 8 inches of snow keeping me from getting into my driveway. I had to park at my brother-in-laws, walk 1/4 mile on an icy street, and begin to shovel my drive. Thankfully the brother-in -law came by with his plow before I went too far.

Saturday - Had some AM appointments, then took Carol and her mother to hear a talk by the Graveyard Girls - they talk about the history of cemeteries and grave markers. Then Carol and I went home and chilled out.

Sunday - We were ushers at church, then went grocery shopping. Later we called for a pizza and watched anything but the game.

Friday - Had a birthday dinner with my wife and girls. :baimun:

Saturday - Gig up at Swiss Valley Ski Lodge
12647231_10100148033209035_1673435432477802616_n.jpg

We played from 4 - 8 so then went out and saw some friends of ours playing at a place called "Fat Cams". They had us sit in for a couple tunes (our keyboard player had another gig).
12705231_10153279924297353_7044521101435594993_n.jpg

Sunday - a second day at the Ski Lodge... but unlike Saturday where the entire lodge was packed, standing room only, Sunday it was 45 degrees and everyone was getting ready for the Superbowl... there were maybe 6 full tables in the whole place. :embarrassed: It was okay though, we worked on some new tunes and some cool transitions. Thursday's gig should rule. :grin:

And then Superbowl and commercials. Got a 6 pack of Purple Haze too. :)

Saturday, took Mrs. T to her class in the medical center and I took a 2 hour ride in and around Memorial Park, Buffalo Bayou, and downtown. Attended the MS150 meeting for Houston Methodist team and won a jersey and bib shorts.

Sunday, rode 38 miles in the cold. No leg power at all. Must be the cold I still have.
Picked strawberries, took a nap, and watched a bit of the Stuper Bowl excpet during Downton Abbey. :embarrassed:

So how'd it go?
Not sure. I showed up prepared...the other guitar players auditioning before and after me were all kids with solid body electrics who really didn't know the style and didn't read the audition requirements posted on the website. I was the only one who had a prepared etude to play for them, for instance and was able to play the melody, improvise on the changes and comp for the piano teacher while he was soloing. The auditions I overheard in the hallway were all missing most of that and ran a lot shorter than mine. I played as well as I could have (I WAS a little nervous) but of all things bombed the sight reading bit which wasn't on the audition requirements but should have been easy for me. I did well in the interview part but kind of got a feeling that they might not have a place for me in the large ensembles. I don't know. I left feeling a little unsettled.

Really good weekend for me.

Friday - nothing
Saturday - Went out with some friends to see my neighbors buddy's friend band's play. My neighbor said his buddy's band was a blues band, which I don't usually really care for, but I really liked them. They were blues influenced, but I didn't really think they were a blues band. They were really good, here is their webiste. http://www.blueheartrevival.com/

Sunday - I went to see Wilco, which was amazing. As many times as I have seen them and Jeff solo, I had never seen them play a song of their first album, until last night. They also ended the show with an acoustic set where they covered Bowie's Space Oddity. This clip was from the NY show.

Reactions: Tig
Not sure. I showed up prepared...the other guitar players auditioning before and after me were all kids with solid body electrics who really didn't know the style and didn't read the audition requirements posted on the website. I was the only one who had a prepared etude to play for them, for instance and was able to play the melody, improvise on the changes and comp for the piano teacher while he was soloing. The auditions I overheard in the hallway were all missing most of that and ran a lot shorter than mine. I played as well as I could have (I WAS a little nervous) but of all things bombed the sight reading bit which wasn't on the audition requirements but should have been easy for me. I did well in the interview part but kind of got a feeling that they might not have a place for me in the large ensembles. I don't know. I left feeling a little unsettled.

Which means you probably did well.

Friday -Got 2.5 mile walk in. Trying to get back into the groove. Pretty much chilled at home practicing my guitar.

Saturday - Ran some errands then went to an afternoon blues jam. Wasn't to happy with my sound using the new LP with P90's so a pickup change was in the future. Just felt so out of sync as I was not mentally in it.

Sunday - My 55th B-Day. Damn where have all of the years gone? With temps reaching 80-85, I brought my plumerias out to have the pots warm up in the shade. Don't want them in sun as even plants getting sunburn. This is my latest hobby and I tell ya, it is great for calming the nerves. Replaced three wall switches in between watching the SB pregame. When the game started, my wife left to run some errands. Since I wasn't fully engaged in the game as my team was not in the SB this year, I worked on my instruments. Here is a thread on what I did with one of them.

http://markweinguitarlessons.com/fo...grande-p-90-pickups-into-my-goldtop-lp.74611/

When my wife returned (around half-time), she brought home a beautiful lemon b-day cake that she ordered a few days prior. She also gave a my present and b-day cards. My present was a new Nikon Coolpix camera - Sweet. I have been having issues with my old one so this was a really well thought out gift. I can do more guitar videos again - woohoo!

A great weekend over all!!!

Back