WEC on FS1!

Useless without serious drugs
I dont' know how many of you are sports car fans but if given the choice between open wheel or sports cars I have issues.

Anyway, I found out today that Fox Sports 1 will be carrying the FIA World Endurance Championship this year, starting Sunday with the Silverstone 6 Hours.

They will carry at least three hours of coverage for every race including the 24 Hours of Le Mans in its entirety.

With NBC Sports covering F1, Indy and the Continental Tire Challenge, Fox Sports carrying the WEC and other channels carrying other series this should be a racing season chock full of spectating opportunities.

I love to watch the sports cars and the rally cars, but I don't know how many races I'll actually get the chance to watch. Just not enough hours in the day.

I never miss an F1 race. Ever.

I try to catch the Indy cars, when I can, but I don't love them like I used too.

Never watch NASCAR. Ever.

But I'm glad there's so much coverage.

I saw this advertised a couple of days ago. Really great news for fans of sports car racing....like me. :)

DANCING-bananaicon_bouncybeavis0
I love to watch the sports cars and the rally cars, but I don't know how many races I'll actually get the chance to watch. Just not enough hours in the day.

I try to catch the Indy cars, when I can, but I don't love them like I used too.

You and I have nearly identical taste in racing. I really miss CART and ALMS.

Reactions: OGG

Same. The CART/Indy split was the worst thing for the sport, especially since CART was challenging F! for open wheel supremacy at the time. CART stayed on track but it seemed that Indy was trying to make an open wheel NASCAR series.

The re-union has not gone well IMO. The enclosement of the rear wheels has made it even worse, and now these new aero-packages are a joke.

I tried to watch St. Petersburg but the cars looked like they had been designed by five year olds with dull crayons, and the aero kept falling apart.

I did watch the Indy Lights this weekend and saw the "new" cars they had. Better looking cars with actual open wheels.

Indy needs to rethink the direction they are going. Just the car designs and the power imbalance will make fans turn away.

Yeah, my love of Indy cars took a big hit with the CART split debacle. Not a lot of positive change has occurred since then, and in many ways it has perhaps irreparably damaged the sport.

The new cars look awful. The enclosed rear wheels are an abomination, and the power imbalance is only made worse by the incredible lack of reliability. It's amazing that F1 power plants can be infinitely more complicated and have such micro-thin tolerances, yet even the worst of them are magnitudes more reliable than these Chevy and Honda Indy motors. I don't think I've watched a single Indy race in the past few years that didn't have multiple retirements due to engine failure.

Stick a proper Cosworth in those silly looking sonsabitches and let's get back to racing.

I lost interest in Indy car when it went to a spec chassis/engine race and lost the technology development aspects. I also don't like the NASCAR like feel of the racing and TV coverage. "Sticker tires" and "push to pass" sound like really dumbed down explanations of things that might actually be interesting to discuss. I also find they spend way too much time under yellow from all the bumping and crashes.

I lost interest in Indy car when it went to a spec chassis/engine race and lost the technology development aspects. I also don't like the NASCAR like feel of the racing and TV coverage. "Sticker tires" and "push to pass" sound like really dumbed down explanations of things that might actually be interesting to discuss. I also find they spend way too much time under yellow from all the bumping and crashes.
It's like and entire field of Pastor Maldonados Grosjeaning each other into the armcos.

It's like and entire field of Pastor Maldonados Grosjeaning each other into the armcos.

It seems almost intentional by design. Most of their street circuits seem unreasonably narrow for the number of cars.

'Nother complaint about "Mur'can" road racing:

I have issues with the DP1 cars in the Tudor series. While I enjoy watching the racing I miss seeing Audi, Porsche, et-al racing in the American Series. My brother is a huge NECKCAR fan and loves the Tudor series while he cheers for Ford to beat Chevy. I gently point out to him when he proclaims the next Ford DP1 car will "take" Le Mans (!) that the DP1 cars are classified as LMP2 cars by the FIA and have no chance to compete against the likes of Audi, Porsche and Nissan as those three cars will blow the doors off the DP cars.

I remember when IMSA refused to race under the ACO Group C guidelines but had cars that were as good or better than the Group C cars and the racing was as good as that in Europe.

I miss the days when American racing series were as good as the European series.

Well, at least the Tudor GT1 class is the best in the world, but I would like to see competitive top-tier cars too. Then the Tudor cars could go to Le Mans and try for a win.

For a very brief period in the late 80's we had an IMSA GP event in Del Mar, but the snooty rich bastards that live there complained about bringing undesirables (i.e. people who weren't gazillionaires) into their precious community and succeeded in shutting it down.

Such a shame, because it was a fantastic circuit. During the short time it existed though, the Mighty Nissan R390 just completely outclassed the competition. Glory days.

For a very brief period in the late 80's we had an IMSA GP event in Del Mar, but the snooty rich bastards that live there complained about bringing undesirables (i.e. people who weren't gazillionaires) into their precious community and succeeded in shutting it down.

Such a shame, because it was a fantastic circuit. During the short time it existed though, the Mighty Nissan R390 just completely outclassed the competition. Glory days.
I remember...Those were the days.

The R390 was one of those non-ACO cars. I think it was Hurley Haywood, when asked about the non-ACO cars not being able to race in Le Mans, answered: "No one goes to races to see cars get good gas milage..." or something very American to that effect.

Of course that was when the ACO re-wrote the rules to include fuel consumption rules.

I think Kendall won the GT Class in that race.

Back