We haven't discussed whiskey here in a while...

Cool!

I'll have to try that Old Grand Dad. Smooth Ambler is one I haven't tried either. I don't think I've ever had a bourbon over 100 bucks though!
The OGD114 is a lot better than the regular OGD. The bottled in bond is decent, too. Not as good as 114 but better than the 80 proof.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

my favorite cheap bourbon is actually rye rather than bourbon - old overholt

(but I've largely lost my taste for bourbon; it's too smooth/sweet compared to most ryes)

That stuff is legendary. I've never had the opportunity to try it though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sure is. Our local BevMo! gets only a few bottles once a year. One has to put their name on a list and see if your name gets drawn. My friend got picked one year. So I got to try it and yeah.... it was really good.

my favorite cheap bourbon is actually rye rather than bourbon - old overholt

(but I've largely lost my taste for bourbon; it's too smooth/sweet compared to most ryes)
I go through intense rye phases and have probably 40 different ones at the house now, but I haven't had Old Overholt in years. I remember liking it, but I need to revisit.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I just did 34 days without alcohol. Buffalo Trace never tasted so good. I get tonight and then 30 more days. My stomach needs a break and it's working.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I just did 34 days without alcohol. Buffalo Trace never tasted so good. I get tonight and then 30 more days. My stomach needs a break and it's working.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Excellent. Welcome back.
I'm having Laphroaig 10 tonight. It's been open a few months, so I think this bottle has mellowed a little.

I picked this up on the way home from work today.
Never heard of it. The description sounded good. Took a chance.

WINNER!

3FF8ABE5-C5C2-4A95-85DF-2B5859A169A3.jpeg

E1D2F490-A656-4855-BE16-E42DFBE477F7.jpeg

Reactions: Tig
Sorta relevant... I made a chocolate cake on Tuesday that has a cup of rye in the batter, and then more sprinkled over the top after it was baked. The rye flavor works really well with the chocolate.

I'm having Willet tonight. It tastes like fucking raisins. What a waste of $38. Fucking gross!
Anyone want an open bottle of bourbon shipped to them? Lol.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I've been enjoying the basic level of bourbon made locally by Whitmeyer’s Distillery. Not bad for a blend.
I'm looking forward to trying their Single Barrel offerings.
Bottles_texas_whiskey.jpg

Last edited:
Snagged a bottle of Sazerac Rye a while back. Cheapish, but very drinkable.
Got a bottle of WhistlePig 12 Year Old World Cask Finish as a gift a week or so ago. Holy shit, is that stuff tasty!!!

Picture is sideways. Bottom, nasty Willet. Top, $18 half decent. Go figure.
e95d9a9158dd43a22ead436b2b8e1415.jpg

It’s got raisins in it. You like raisins.
Raisons are an abomination. I ban all raisins.
Speaking of which, if there's prune juice, why isn't there raisin juice? Prunes are dried plums. Isn't it plum juice? We have grape juice, so....

Willet is usually better than average. Maybe you got a crappy batch.
At that price point there are several good choices.

I've been enjoying the basic level of bourbon made locally by Whitmeyer’s Distillery. Not bad for a blend.
I'm looking forward to trying their Single Barrel offerings.
Bottles_texas_whiskey.jpg
The single barrel is much better. They do a pretty good job on this one, but it's not even a bourbon.

Willet is usually better than average. Maybe you got a crappy batch.
At that price point there are several good choices.
You are correct. At this price point I've found plenty to enjoy. Unfortunately I took a chance and it is not to my liking. Luckily I have a bottle of Basil Hayden's to soothe my sadness.

Back