We haven't discussed whiskey here in a while...

I diggin rye a lot lately too. Working on a bottle of Bulliet. My friend had a bottle of rye aged in rum barrels. Quite good.

Someone drank all my bourbon and rye, so I had to refuel. Unfortunately the guy who used to order the good stuff at my local Spec's doesn't work there anymore.

For now, I have a little bit of Templeton Rye, a full bottle of Elijah Craig 12, and most of a bottle of Michter's Rye Single Barrel. I need to check out the Spec's super store tomorrow.

I've never even tried a rye. What's the difference?

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

I got curious and grabbed a bottle of Larceny. Good stuff! Especially on a Wednesday afternoon Christmas eve eve!

Reactions: Tig
I got curious and grabbed a bottle of Larceny. Good stuff! Especially on a Wednesday afternoon Christmas eve eve!

Funny thing is after seeing it for the last few months, I went to buy some and it was all gone!
The good news is I bought a bottle of Angel's Envy Bourbon. drool0
angelsenvy.jpg

I've never even tried a rye. What's the difference?

To put it simply, scotch is usually all malted barley, bourbon is mostly corn, and rye is mostly rye. Scotch has to be made in Scotland, Bourbon has to be made in the US, and Rye doesn't have geographical restrictions (unless they're stated on the label), but it's usually made in Canada or the US.

To put it simply, scotch is usually all malted barley, bourbon is mostly corn, and rye is mostly rye. Scotch has to be made in Scotland, Bourbon has to be made in the US, and Rye doesn't have geographical restrictions (unless they're stated on the label), but it's usually made in Canada or the US.

oddly enough, Canadian rye doesn't need to contain any actual rye.

oddly enough, Canadian rye doesn't need to contain any actual rye.
Ha ha. I forgot about that. Someone made a joke about that at a bourbon distillery one time. It's the wild north up there. But that Whistlepig and Alberta (all the same juice) rye is pretty dang good. I'm pretty sure it's mostly rye.

Just had some Woodford and Bulliet rye the other night. The Woodford was nice, but I didn't think it was in Michter's or Templeton territory. Didn't like the Bulliet at all.

Just had some Woodford and Bulliet rye the other night. The Woodford was nice, but I didn't think it was in Michter's or Templeton territory. Didn't like the Bulliet at all.
The funny thing is I'm reasonably sure they are all sourced from the same place. But obviously the barrels are chosen and mixed differently.

The funny thing is I'm reasonably sure they are all sourced from the same place. But obviously the barrels are chosen and mixed differently.
I don't know what the deal is, but Michter's is so much better than everything else I've had it's unreal. I'm having another Woodford right now, and it might be close to the Templeton.
Also, drinking top shelf whiskey in a hotel bar is fucking expensive!

I don't know what the deal is, but Michter's is so much better than everything else I've had it's unreal. I'm having another Woodford right now, and it might be close to the Templeton.
This is close to my experience as well.

So we went bourbon shopping for my wife's doctor/boss and I run into a few bottles of Larceny. I hope it is good since I've never bought him anything I didn't already taste myself.

Picked up a recent bottling of ec12 last week and I've been totally underwhelmed by this one. I've been wondering, Is it me or is this a duff bottle?

Today, I received a mega dram selection from my wife for Christmas that has an older dram of ec12 and I'm doing a side by side tasting.

It's like night and day. My bottle is really hot & flat, no complexity while the dram is better & more complex in every respect.

I bought a bottle yesterday at noon when I left work and had three shots (a lot for me). Today I had a shot in my Ethiopian coffee. This is sort of the 'go to' booze in our family for remembering (and forgetting). Very drinkable and smooth -- good numbing agent.

Jameson-Irish-Whiskey-Original.jpg

I picked up a bottle of bowmore a few weeks back bit haven't even touched it. I need to start breaking into it, ive got around 14 single malts in the cupboard I barely touch.

I don't know if we have any Elijah Craig 12-year fans around here, but you might have noticed they took the 12 year age statement off the front of the bottle about 6 months ago. And the latest shipment that just went out had it removed completely from the back, too. Age statements are steadily fading away.

Back