Waves plug ins?

Danhedonia

Noted duckfat enthusiast
They are doing their sale thing ... and I have no experience with their stuff.

Anyone have any faves?

I've been using the buhgeezis out of them for years. Absolutely top notch stuff. Pretty much a must have.

I use several of their plugins on every mix that I do. Most of them are REALLY good. :)

For me the absolute essentials would be:
Rverb
API 550B eq
Puigtec eq
RVox compressor (that plugin really does something magical on vocals)

The 6 band Renaissance eq gets a lot of use as well. Great for subtle subtractive eq.

Shitload of good ones though.

Awesome, thanks Dexter! Hey, I'm already at $158 (Rverb, Rvox, API550), and would love it if you wouldn't mind weighing in on which 2 freebies you'd suggest from here:

https://www.waves.com/year-end-2017-free-plugins

Not quite sure what sort of stuff you normally record, but I'd probably go with the Supertap Delay (another one I use quite often) and the One Knob Filter.
Both super useful for a lot of stuff.

The plugins I'd steer away from would be Tune and GTR, those aren't quite as good - there are lots of other plugins about from other companies that are just plain better at those sort of tasks.

Mostly for guitar I use a DI out from my amp, which is extremely pleasing. Amplitube as well as some BIAS FX stuff, so not at all looking for more guitarry stuff.

I record a fair bit of psych-indie type stuff, and then some EDM and some post-rock things which are much more sparsely arranged.

I truly appreciate your posting these on XMas. God bless.

Mostly for guitar I use a DI out from my amp, which is extremely pleasing. Amplitube as well as some BIAS FX stuff, so not at all looking for more guitarry stuff.

I record a fair bit of psych-indie type stuff, and then some EDM and some post-rock things which are much more sparsely arranged.

I truly appreciate your posting these on XMas. God bless.

No prob at all! Glad to help. :)

We had our big dinner/presents thing yesterday (we Euros are a bit weird like that). :wink:
Gig tomorrow so tonight is beer night for me.

Last edited:
Boy, oh boy.

What a dilemmer (Bostonian pronunciation): I demo'd the Abbey Road Plate Reverb, and after about five minutes of tweaking, found some glorious sounds.

So then I went to demo the API 550 and the CL-2A and holy shit, it was incredibly difficult to get Reaper to recognize them. I wound up doing a computer restart, and two "dump cache and re-scan for plugins" (which is a pain, because it has to rescan for ALL plugins). And the Abbey Road installed seamlessly.

WTF?

At the same time I got the Fender 2 collection from IK, mostly because it cost very little due to their giving me credits, but it installed very, very easily.

WTF Waves?

Their Mastering Plug In Bundle is by far the best out there. It's incredibly intuitive. Many times I can put a freshly mixed project through it and not have to tweak any of the parameters on the presets at all. When an adjustment is needed, it's usually very slight.

The vocal doubler/multiplier is also really great, but is in no way "subtle". At least that's the case with the presets. Once you dial back the amount of FX, it quickly becomes a habit forming plug in. Once you master it, you can't stop using it.

Also worth the price of admission is their panning/dimensional plug ins. In many cases it can save you from having to remix or change eq settings on individual pre-master tracks by deftly placing them properly in the final mix. I don't know how, some sort of algorithmic Voodoo, but it's saved my ass a few times.

This song was a complete mess because it was recorded in bits and pieces over a two year period using different interfaces, different DAWs, etc. I struggled mightily to get a good final mix as a result because there was no way in Hell I was going to try to re-record all of the (many) guitar tracks.

Waves plug ins saved my bacon.

Listen to Sliver of Light by Roderick Moyes #np on #SoundCloud

Back