Water Heater blues

Jbird

Kick Henry Jackassowski
Darned water heaters pilot light went out, and won't relight. Just in time for the 4-day weekend. Yay.

And it's only 4 years old :mad:

Does it have one of these running from the gas valve to the pilot light?
thermocouple.jpg

If it does, replace it and you will have hot water once again.

It probably does, but I'd have no idea on how to get to it. I have to look at the pilot light thru a little window. No idea on how to open it up.

Mojo...

Darned water heaters pilot light went out,
And it won't relight
I said Darned water heaters pilot light went out,
And it won't relight
Just in time for the 4-day weekend
Yeah - And it's only 4 years old

That's probably what I'll try next. I did see a small flash when I'd try to re-light it, but it wouldn't stay lit.

Remember-the thermocouple should be SNUG,but not overly tight. It is an electrical connection,not a mechanical connection. Also,make sure the pilot flame is hitting the top 1/2" of the thermocouple,if it is a lazy flame and floating away and not hitting the tip of thermocouple-then the pilot light needs to be cleaned.

I might (as in maybe) be able to change out the thermocouple if that video is any indication.

Anything else involved and I'd be over my head. I'll head to the hardware store and pick one up, if they are all pretty much the same. If I have to get a specific one, I'll be lost.

And then I'll try to get my brother-in-law to stop by. He's the one that installed the water heater for me. I bought it from Lowe's, and their delivery people said they weren't allowed to install it, since it was a gas one. So my bro-in-law did it for me. Heck, the house he and my sister just sold, he built everything himself, except for pouring the concrete for the basement. He knows what he's doing :embarrassed:

I might (as in maybe) be able to change out the thermocouple if that video is any indication.

Anything else involved and I'd be over my head. I'll head to the hardware store and pick one up, if they are all pretty much the same. If I have to get a specific one, I'll be lost.

And then I'll try to get my brother-in-law to stop by. He's the one that installed the water heater for me. I bought it from Lowe's, and their delivery people said they weren't allowed to install it, since it was a gas one. So my bro-in-law did it for me. Heck, the house he and my sister just sold, he built everything himself, except for pouring the concrete for the basement. He knows what he's doing :embarrassed:

Unless your water heater is a real oddball, the universal ones sold everywhere should work.

Good-Luck-Were-All-Counting-on-You1.jpg

Mojo!

My house was originally sold with an unfinished basement. Some stupid previous owner moved the water heater three rooms away from the basement drain. It doesn’t even have a pan under it. And the basement has wall-to-wall carpet. So I need to proactively get a new pipe run and move it back into the room with the drain. Fortunately there’s already a gas line in there left from a time when the house had a gas dryer.

a lot of the modern water heaters use a different thermocouple-faster acting. The old ones roughly took 90 seconds to shut off gas valve coil. Modern ones are around 30seconds. You may want to know which you have-if it is indeed the thermocouple.

I don't know jack about appliance repair, but thanks to the internet (and especially YouTube), I've been able to fix my washer and dryer twice each, cheaply. One of the things the internet is actually good for, besides wasting time.

Update:

Got it fixed on Friday. It's a Whirlpool, and has a red button you hold down when re-lighting, and a black igniter switch. When I was trying to re-light it initially, I was turning the selector knob to 'pilot', pushing the red button down, and then immediately pressing the igniter switch.

I was told to hold down the red button for a good 30 seconds or so, to let more gas into it, then hit the igniter. Did that and it light right up.

Good thing too, as Whirlpool designs their water heaters so the average Joe like me can't work on them. To replace the thermocouple, you have to take off all the other stuff (gas line, igniter switch set, up, etc) before you can remove the metal door. And then the thermocouples you can buy at Lowes, Menards, etc won't work, you need a special one you can only get from Whirlpool. If this water heater ever craps out on me, I'm buying something else other than a Whirlpool. And my brother works for Whirlpool….

You sure Whirlpool designs their water heaters or just puts their badge on one made from another manufacturer?

Back