Watch jalopnik smack a 2016 Camaro into a wall ...aka

Lerxst

spaghetti and blankets
aka...video review. 1:embarrassed:5 woops

http://jalopnik.com/i-was-the-first...ash-a-2016-chevr-1705084839?rev=1431966444367

1257831851737329736.jpg

Oops! I'm guessing the apology fell on deaf ears. Let this be a lessons to all - pay attention to your driving.

I've heard these kind of press car crashes are not all that unusual. Pretty surprising GM kicked them out of the event after the crash. Jalopnik is one of the more popular car enthusiast sites on the web. I get that they were a little miffed about the leaked specs and all, but that kind of thing happens even more commonly that press car crashes. GM corporate should try to get their shit together and realize this kind of behavior just makes them look bad to car people.

Fucking typical Camaro, can't rurn for shit.

Seriously though, when I was doing a lot of press drives, this was my biggest fear. They WANT you to push these cars to the extreme, but they don't usually enjoy getting the phone call letting them know it will be returning on a wrecker.

I've never seen someone hear pretty hellacious tire squeal at the beginning of a corner, continue at speed, and then turn in even more. Understeer seems to be the only outcome in this situation.

Last edited:
Even more odd is that he continues to turn in even after he realizes he is in a serious mid corner plow, expecting that this will somehow make it better. Funny that Jalopnik has a sub-blog called opposite lock. A little opposite wheel turn, or perhaps a quick jab of the brakes to transfer the chassis load to the front wheels would have been helpful. I guess it is harder to make these decisions quickly while recording a video in a car you have never driven before.

I was expecting (OK, hoping for) a little more radical change in the body design and style from the previous version. Maybe that will be more apparent in the non-camo vehicles.

I was expecting a thread on the new Camaro, but that isn't what I had in mind. :tongue:

I think it actually looks pretty good, but if I was getting a sports car it would be a different one.

To me, the new Camaro looks like the bastard offspring of a Charger and a Corvette. I find this iteration of the Camaro to be hopelessly ugly.

He wasn't wearing a helmet?

I'm guessing this Camaro will be great in the corners, video not withstanding, since it's based on the Cadillac ATS platform with it's magnetic ride control.

Even more odd is that he continues to turn in even after he realizes he is in a serious mid corner plow, expecting that this will somehow make it better. Funny that Jalopnik has a sub-blog called opposite lock. A little opposite wheel turn, or perhaps a quick jab of the brakes to transfer the chassis load to the front wheels would have been helpful. I guess it is harder to make these decisions quickly while recording a video in a car you have never driven before.

I think he was on the brakes and that is why he could not turn. If so he could have let off on the brake for a tic steered into the turn then reapplied.

But I think he was too far into the turn to be able to do that without hitting the wall anyway. At that time he was probably just hoping for the best outcome.

I think he was on the brakes and that is why he could not turn. If so he could have let off on the brake for a tic steered into the turn then reapplied.

But I think he was too far into the turn to be able to do that without hitting the wall anyway. At that time he was probably just hoping for the best outcome.

It looks like he went in too hot, braked too late, prob too hard & got locked in...all in an unfamiliar car at a press event. crap happens

I've heard these kind of press car crashes are not all that unusual. Pretty surprising GM kicked them out of the event after the crash. Jalopnik is one of the more popular car enthusiast sites on the web. I get that they were a little miffed about the leaked specs and all, but that kind of thing happens even more commonly that press car crashes. GM corporate should try to get their shit together and realize this kind of behavior just makes them look bad to car people.

supposedly GM was already pissed off at them over some pre-release info that they've posted.

He wasn't wearing a helmet?

I'm guessing this Camaro will be great in the corners, video not withstanding, since it's based on the Cadillac ATS platform with it's magnetic ride control.

I don't think it was a balls out hot lap event but more a paced lap at moderately low speed. The crash doesn't really demonstrate anything about the car other than you can drive it into a wall if you're not paying attention.

Reactions: Tig
I don't watch many of these test videos because I'm usually not car shopping.

I do remember from the old PBS Motorweek show that they didn't try to review on camera while actually driving.
Perhaps they should try to not do that.

I don't watch many of these test videos because I'm usually not car shopping.

I do remember from the old PBS Motorweek show that they didn't try to review on camera while actually driving.
Perhaps they should try to not do that.

Makes me think of Jackie Sterwart. He was great at that, minus the hitting the wall thing.

Back