Want to get progressively angrier as you read a thread?

Yeah, I lost interest in that pretty fast. :tongue:

And that was just for "Tainted Love." Imagine if they tried to analyze some Stravinsky!

i dunno. I found it somewhat interesting. it's an advanced understanding of music that I don't have, but can appreciate those who do.

wow, that just sucks the fun out of playing music.

Zactly!

What a bunch of boring, overly analytical joyless eunuchs.

Listening to the track in question it sounds like they're trying to take a fun, swingy, cover tune and apply calculus to it. :facepalm:

Back in my performance art days when I was playing keyboards I had a second keyboard player working with me. I can't remember which song we were working on, but she turned to me and said, "You haven't studied music theory, have you?" She went on to say that what I did sounded good, but defied the accepted rules. That was good enough for me.

(I don't knock knowing theory, but it isn't for me.)

"You haven't studied music theory, have you?" She went on to say that what I did sounded good, but defied the accepted rules. That was good enough for me.

(I don't knock knowing theory, but it isn't for me.)

IMO, it's good to know theory to help communicate with other musicians and I'm working to learn more as I go. That said, I don't subscribe to the school of thought of "following rules" when writing music. If we all did, we would all still be making the same classical music that has been made for hundreds of years.

Andy Summers, Stewart Copeland, and Sting all had different level degrees of musical knowledge but they didn't "arrange" their sound.... it was more like each had their own musical agenda and their knowledge helped each turn the gears until these mismatched components worked in unison.

Also, I love the way that Dave Grohl starts banging out chord shapes that sound interesting to him and then applies his rhythmic sensibilities to them until something catchy comes out of it.

There's a spectrum from the garage/punk crowd to the most analytical of jazz or classical musicians, but I just can't imagine music without passion.

I am sure that I would benefit from knowing theory, but I am happy with what I have done without it, so I don't sweat it.

FWIW, I have written music for string quartet and woodwind trio that has been performed, which isn't too shabby.

I know quite a bit of music theory and in a setting like that what I know helps me understand the relationships between chords or sections of a song but fly fucking it like this is pretty annoying.

I know quite a bit of music theory and in a setting like that what I know helps me understand the relationships between chords or sections of a song but fly fucking it like this is pretty annoying.
Yeah, it seems to miss the whole point of music, in my mind.

Seems to me thread was over after two responses. "It's just an odd fucking chord, get over it and just play it."

But let's talk about the REAL question here. Why is there a thread about chords on a "talkbass" forum? Everyone knows you need at least 6 Strings and 5 teeth to be able to play a chord. Most bass players have neither.

Yeah, it seems to miss the whole point of music, in my mind.

Would you feel the same about a painter who studied theories about mixing colors, how the human eye perceives shapes and colors, what colors work together best?

I guess it just comes down to the artist's temperament. I've always been more of a McGyver type when it comes to creativity. Give me a goal, give me some boundaries and a few rules to work within, and I use those along with my prior knowledge of how the world and systems work, as creatively as I can.

Some people like more of a blank slate to start building upon.

It's the difference between "Cover 'Tainted Love" in a rockabilly style, and "Write a song." If you tell me to just write a song, my mind goes blank and I sit and do nothing for days. It's how I work. :shrug:

Seems to me thread was over after two responses. "It's just an odd fucking chord, get over it and just play it."

But let's talk about the REAL question here. Why is there a thread about chords on a "talkbass" forum? Everyone knows you need at least 6 Strings and 5 teeth to be able to play a chord. Most bass players have neither.

:mad:

When I left Loki the Grump, I was replaced by a string of guitarists who said things like "you can't do that, it doesn't conform to theory". They also didn't understand how to play a c shaped barre chord, and nothing sounded the same until we had a reunion. Morons.

4TEETH_zpsz7loxqeo.png

Back