Walnut Fingerboard?

Mesquite is pretty high on the hardness list at 2345. I'd think it's a pretty cheap wood, assuming the BBQ folks haven't driven up the price. Wonder why no one uses it for fret boards. Maybe it's too hard to find a straight piece long enough? :shrug:

Edit: Turns out, Mesquite boards have been done, just not very common:
DSCN4329.jpg

98b05539-576f-40dc-90ee-57be4f229b2b.JPG

I want these...please.

...I’m surprised that Gibson is even offering a Walnut guitar at this price. Walnut tends to be reserved for very expensive guitars because gun collectors have driven up the price of quality walnut. I’m surprised they didn’t use the wood for a limited edition $15,000 signature Hummingbird.

If you look at the walnut that's used, it's relatively plain and not really the feathered crotch that commands the high prices:

10704015-backbody-large.jpg

watt-walnut-walnut-blank-x.jpg

It does have a lesser shore between the grain lines but does hold up well longitudinally (with the grain), meaning, it doesn't shrink in cold climes away from the metal fitment of weapons. It gouges out, though, between the grain lines easier than traditional fretboard woods like ebony. If I was to spec a guitar now I'd ask for the phenolic Micarta material. It's perfect for the job and will last forever. Supposedly it's a known carcinogen so when working it the dust should be removed from the work piece via close evacuation.

It does have a lesser shore between the grain lines but does hold up well longitudinally (with the grain), meaning, it doesn't shrink in cold climes away from the metal fitment of weapons. It gouges out, though, between the grain lines easier than traditional fretboard woods like ebony. If I was to spec a guitar now I'd ask for the phenolic Micarta material. It's perfect for the job and will last forever. Supposedly it's a known carcinogen so when working it the dust should be removed from the work piece via close evacuation.

Please post more at TGP. Specifically in Gibson threads. :)

Back