Volkswagons are horrible cars

DdBob

Dogue in teh desert
Sure they accelerate fast and they ride nice but holy smokes if not every single one has an instrument cluster lit up like a christmas tree (German cars in general seem to be plagued by this, especially BMW and VW), also way way to much plastic, all that snap together shit and those damn engine covers plus they are too fragile.

The End.

Reactions: Tig
While I don't totally agree with the gist of the OP, I do wonder if and when the Germans will ever figure out how fucking electricity works. The comment about the dashboard being constantly lit up is no joke. I also see an inordinate number of very new, very expensive German cars with exterior lighting issues that boggle the mind. One tail light always brighter than the other (like the brake bulb is always lit), non-working brake lights etc. Mercedes is the biggest culprit. I see $100K+ S Classes less than a year old rolling down the highway with one tail light working and no brake lights at all.

Reactions: Tig
piech.jpg

Ferdinand does not like your tone

don't lump all German cars in with VWs. MB makes the best cars on the market.

I'm just not a fan. (all Euro makes...the audi, the vw, the MB, the Beemer, the Volvo) but I will say in general they ride nice and sporty (firm and quick acceleration) but they are always having electrical issues as Ogg said, also they are just wacky engineered compared to Japanese, korean, 'mericuhn which are all very similar. Besides those things the plastic they use seems to be of more brittle quality than good ol' 'merikan plastic :embarrassed: Then you got torx everywhere and spline drive and those old school fuses they used to use...just craziness!

While I don't totally agree with the gist of the OP, I do wonder if and when the Germans will ever figure out how fucking electricity works. The comment about the dashboard being constantly lit up is no joke. I also see an inordinate number of very new, very expensive German cars with exterior lighting issues that boggle the mind. One tail light always brighter than the other (like the brake bulb is always lit), non-working brake lights etc. Mercedes is the biggest culprit. I see $100K+ S Classes less than a year old rolling down the highway with one tail light working and no brake lights at all.

Actually the one brighter tail light thing is not a defective light. All the German cars have that as it is a EU regulation. It's basically a rear fog light.

I'm just not a fan. (all Euro makes...the audi, the vw, the MB, the Beemer, the Volvo) but I will say in general they ride nice and sporty (firm and quick acceleration) but they are always having electrical issues as Ogg said, also they are just wacky engineered compared to Japanese, korean, 'mericuhn which are all very similar. Besides those things the plastic they use seems to be of more brittle quality than good ol' 'merikan plastic :embarrassed: Then you got torx everywhere and spline drive and those old school fuses they used to use...just craziness!

have seen many more recalls with American cars recently. haven't had any issue with either MB I have owned.

saw a report recently about how every seat in an American made car will fail in a rear end collision. if you have a passenger back there the seat will crush them. its a 1-2 dollar fix and the only car makers who are doing it are MB, BMW and Volvo. some guy's kid had permanent brain injury. sorry, that is one of the reasons I drive a MB, they are much safer than the crap being built here. how about covering up that ignition issue even as they knew people were dying? great work.

My wife's VW has been fine for the last 98K miles. No electrical issues and no dashboard warning lights. Maybe we got lucky, or maybe all that illegal NOx and particulates VW engineered it to emit have lubricated the blinker fluid reservoir. :shrug: I get the opinion on VW reliability, and it is an opinion VW has earned over the years for sure. Next car I buy for the wife is going to be something Japanese.

If German auto engineering is so great, why do they make such utter crap?

I know several people that got tired of their recent MB's spending so much time in the dealer's garage for repairs, they traded them for Japanese or Korean autos. Yes, the higher (non C class) MB's have very safe frames and bodies, but what good is that if the car is always having problems and not on the road?

I disagree. 209,000 on my 2011 VW. Never a single issue. I take that back. They warrantied my bluetooth module at 1000 miles.

have seen many more recalls with American cars recently. haven't had any issue with either MB I have owned.

saw a report recently about how every seat in an American made car will fail in a rear end collision. if you have a passenger back there the seat will crush them. its a 1-2 dollar fix and the only car makers who are doing it are MB, BMW and Volvo. some guy's kid had permanent brain injury. sorry, that is one of the reasons I drive a MB, they are much safer than the crap being built here. how about covering up that ignition issue even as they knew people were dying? great work.

How about cheating your customer base and selling as "an eco greeny car" when in facto tou're killing more baby dolphins and trees than a 1972 Dodge pickup...

Anyway Recalls happen with everything (patches for computer os 's , etc) but it's gonna happen in cars. Toyota had the "known" gas pedal issue, decades ago One of those news shows somewhat rigged Chevy truck gas tanks to dramatize the "safety hazard" of the truck blowing up in a side collision, I recently got a free bumper mounted trailer hitch for my 04 grand cherokee because supposedly they were blowing up in rear collisionsm they called that one a "customer satisfaction something or other"...I also got a 100 dollar Visa pre paid card for going in :embarrassed:...so anyway Stuff like the seat (which I have never heard about nor would I be worried about it) is a needle in the haystck issue, also over exagerated because I'm sure the parameters of the crash would be extreme (70 mph Isuzu box truck ramming you at a 92.1 degree angle with a humidity level of 64 percent or something :wink:......yeah a human could probably instantly combust but the odds are very very slim. I'm not gonna walk around carrying a fire extinguisher just to be "safe"
BTW I bet an F350 diesel is safer in a collision with a MB, jus' sayin' or at least the seat issue will be the last thing to worry about in that case.

Hey Ddbob, totally off-topic, but what are your general thoughts about subarus?

Hey Ddbob, totally off-topic, but what are your general thoughts about subarus?

Subarus are fine cars, I would buy one. I'm not really familair with the newer ones but those early 2000's are great. They got good power and they are fun to drive, long lasting, reliable and quite capable, more so than even most suv's ( their only drawback is no low range but they are all wheel drive and to my knowledge AWD's don't have low range). Personally when the time comes that I don't go out to the types of places I do now I could totally see myself getting a Forester or something.

checkout this guys Subaru youtube for what they can do https://www.youtube.com/user/bluefox4848/videos

Back