Vocal wipe VST?

Danhedonia

Noted duckfat enthusiast
I have a student who wants to do vocals over some current pop songs. These are not at all for commercial use (and I'll make her agree to refrain from violating copyright laws).

Wondering if anyone has a VST they really like for wiping existing vox?

It can't really be done without mangling the original mix somewhat.

I'd recommend searching a bit for multitracks online, could be lucky and find some. Just mute the vocals and render a new mix.
Could be some people have done some instrumental mixes as well.

Failing that, Waves Center is a decent plugin that uses mid-side processing where you could turn down the center channel a bit to remove a good chunk of the vocals.
It has separate sliders for center and sides channels. Beware though that doing that you'll also remove some kick, snare and bass by turning down the center channel.
Can work fairly well unless there are a lot of stereo effects on said vocals in the mix.

It can be done in other ways, but we're then talking of VERY complicated and time consuming processes.

Much appreciated. Messing up the original mix is not at all a problem - I do a thing where I volunteer after school to basically work with kids on the process of "making music." She wants to do vocals -- and this is basically to hear herself recorded. I'll show her things like compression, reverb, pitch correction, and let her make some choices.

If at some point she wants to do something a bit more full-fledged, we'll do it ground-up from scratch. (I did the same with her older brother last year, and between him and me we can cover most of the bases, plus there are some amazing keyboard players at the school).

In that context, having something that just strips out the vocal would be fine.

Here's another option... there are karaoke sites online that allow you to customize the mix before you download such as to have background vocals or not, or a single harmony vocal. After that, key and tempo can be changed. I think you can add or subtract the guitar line out too. I'll look for it.

I'm here and attentive. FWIW, I found a karaoke mp3 online for one of the songs she wants to try (Adele).

You are very kind folks with the suggestions.

Back