Vinyl finish attempted.

Kevman

not a n00b anymore
First, I haven't been here on Mark's forum in quite some time. It's a cool place that I will log into more frequently.

I recently picked up a Jackson PS-1 which is the low end of their low end Performer series from back in the 90s. I like it. It was black on black and I was able to set it up to play very well. Nice thin shreddy neck (I like both slim and fatty neck profiles) and Jackson J-70 hum which is likely to be replaced and 2 Jackson singles which sound perfectly stratty to me.

Anyway, I decided I wanted a guitar that doesn't look like every other guitar out there. The black on black strat thing has been done to death because it looks cool but it's still a pedestrian finish. I decided I was going to wrap the top with faux carbon fiber vinyl. With the assist from a heat gun it is easy to get a vinyl finish to wrap around what it needs to wrap around on a strat. I attempted to make it look like the guitar has a carbon fiber top and think I came pretty close. You can see that my hand was not so steady in cutting the vinyl along the sides but nobody sees the sides from out in the club.

13626450_10153861587837545_3430245582602989101_n.jpg
13600271_10153861586642545_8475919501909133513_n.jpg

What do you think of the result?

13620921_10153861613657545_3039657152362899981_n.jpg

13600137_10153861587532545_5734228300779334418_n.jpg

Looks cool! How does it sound?
It sounds exactly like it did before I wrapped it in plastic. Go figure! Tone wood my hind end...
Sounds great, the stock pups are kind of unremarkable but I mod guitars for fun so that works out.
I have a dream of installing a P-Rail in the bridge position because they sound great and they offer 3 different tones in 1 position. I think I can get one in black too which is crucial.
No need to change mid and neck as they do what I want them to do without protest.

Beyond a P-rail I have been thinking of experimenting with an Artec active circuit too. Time will tell. I'll get a vid up soon, on the road this week.

You can see that my hand was not so steady in cutting the vinyl along the sides but nobody sees the sides from out in the club.

I'm not sure how well this would work on a guitar, but when I used to work in a skate shop, we had to put grip tape on the top of the board. At first, we would trace the board on the tape and cut it out with scissors, but that didn't give us a very good cut. I don't remember how we figured it out, but we ended up putting the grip tape on the deck, then used a really sharp razor blade to run around the edge. It gave us a clean edge and was much easier.

The title made me expect pics of a guitar dipped in liquid latex or something. This looks great. Good job!

Did you stain the fingerboard, too?

As a matter of fact I did go over the fretboard. I use black leather dye. The kind in the bottle with the sponge tip for application to shoes. Lol. 3-4 coats and now its ebony! I saw guys online using sharpies for that. That's alot of sharpie coloring and stinky. I did hit some oxidized pick guard screws with the sharpie though and it's a perfect tool for that.

Thanks everybody, I'll get clips up and maybe start looking for another vinyl pattern to experiment with.

Back