Vintage Tube Amp - replace caps?

I always use a 10K resistor with wires and a screwdriver. It is from Tech days discharging CRT HV supplies.

I love to call others Sparky!!!

Last edited:
If you connect 'em straight to ground, they will snap. I've heard that can be unsafe. I use a bleeder resistor now.

Yes, a bleeder is better. Not only safer, but better at draining residual voltages. In any case, always check the voltages across the caps with your meter before doing any work with a soldering iron.

Yes, a bleeder is better. Not only safer, but better at draining residual voltages. In any case, always check the voltages across the caps with your meter before doing any work with a soldering iron.

Not much fun when you see snap, crackle and pop....

You also take on the nickname of 'Sparky'.

$300 is a ripoff.
it cost me $50 to replace the filter caps on my 68 dual showman.

thats all you need.

caps cost anywhere form $1 to $50 each. get the ones that fall in your price range.

you can do it yourself. just use a fork and do it in the dark. stick your hand into the amp
and feel/poke around with the fork until you find one. you will know.
i may be kidding.

$300 is a ripoff.
it cost me $50 to replace the filter caps on my 68 dual showman.

thats all you need.

caps cost anywhere form $1 to $50 each. get the ones that fall in your price range.

you can do it yourself. just use a fork and do it in the dark. stick your hand into the amp
and feel/poke around with the fork until you find one. you will know.
i may be kidding.
Not to go off topic... But '68 DS... Reverb or non-Reverb?

i bought mine thinking it was a 66 because its in a 66 head.
someone put a Sf into a bf enclosure and sold it as a bf to GC.

i bought mine thinking it was a 66 because its in a 66 head.
someone put a Sf into a bf enclosure and sold it as a bf to GC.
Odd.

Same circuit either way. No changes until they added reverb.

Sent from my Moto X 2014 using Tapatalk

you mean no changes from the dual showman (SF) to the dual reverb. a BF showman and a Sf (dual) are similar but have some changes.
very easily blackfaced though.

either way I ended up selling this amp to a dude in Australia
played through my 65TRRI speakers, my twin sounded better.

you mean no changes from the dual showman (SF) to the dual reverb. a BF showman and a Sf (dual) are similar but have some changes.
very easily blackfaced though.

either way I ended up selling this amp to a dude in Australia
played through my 65TRRI speakers, my twin sounded better.
I forgot that the Silverface had a couple revisions later on before the Reverb version came out, but if it's a '68 there's a chance it's still AA763. Unfortunately the tube chart was probably destroyed with the original head cab.

I used to play my '66 through my Peavey 412MS. The thing would stay clean until 8 and knock bats out of the sky, but was so warm, clean, and beautiful sounding. I miss it so.

yeah the tube chart was there but it was for a 66

i thought it was a 66 until I removed the head from the enclosure and saw the date stamps :sim:

still, its a great amp black or not.:mmad: :embarrassed:hmy: :rd::cs::weindog::bfp::superchow::bwtf:

yeah the tube chart was there but it was for a 66

i thought it was a 66 until I removed the head from the enclosure and saw the date stamps :sim:

still, its a great amp black or not.:mmad: :embarrassed:hmy: :rd::cs::weindog::bfp::superchow::bwtf:
Yeah, Drip Rail Silverface Dual Showmans were the secret BFs.

i wanted to get a bandmaster cab for it but i couldnt find one.
all people had were the huge refrigerator cabs for showmans

Back