Video help...

tstrahle

Noobie McNoob Noob
Hey Mark, not sure where to post this, but are there any video experts out there that can help me figure out how to get rid of the video distortion on my strings in my videos? Example here...

Everything else looks OK. The strings have a distortion or a rainbowing thing going on. Don't know if I need to upgrade cameras or if I'm using the wrong settings. I'm using a Canon Eos T4i (2013) and the settings are...

1280x720
60fps

I'm using a Canon EFS 18-135mm lens.

Thanks so much, I really want to give my subscribers the best possible product.

Tom

Yeah, that's looks much better. I've seen $200 GoPros that shoot better than what I'm doing. I know for a fact it's user error. Just need to get the settings right.
WHo knew that making a living as a guitarist would mean learning everyone else's jobs too?

It's most visible on the strings, but everything has a bit of that.... I wonder if YouTube's encoding played extra hell with it? Either way, a bit more lighting can help with those artifacts. Shooting and editing in 60fps sound great, but it's kinda like recording your audio at 192... you can, but most people won't see the benefit and you're in the land of diminishing returns.

The other thing I thought is it could have been your autofocus giving everything else a bit of dithered motion blur. My DSLR is a Canon Rebel too and it definitely takes some playing with settings and making sure you have adequate lighting/diffusion.

It's probably that...can you move up to 1080?

I bumped it to 1080. for some reason I thought I was, but it's 1920x1080.
WHo knew that making a living as a guitarist would mean learning everyone else's jobs too?

Exactly. But that is one of the secrets as you learned making your own record. You had to be writer, guitarist, MD, engineer, producer, manufacturer, lawyer, promoter, tech, etc.

It's most visible on the strings, but everything has a bit of that.... I wonder if YouTube's encoding played extra hell with it? Either way, a bit more lighting can help with those artifacts. Shooting and editing in 60fps sound great, but it's kinda like recording your audio at 192... you can, but most people won't see the benefit and you're in the land of diminishing returns.

The other thing I thought is it could have been your autofocus giving everything else a bit of dithered motion blur. My DSLR is a Canon Rebel too and it definitely takes some playing with settings and making sure you have adequate lighting/diffusion.

You are right. And going to 1080 and 24fps doesn't really make for much bigger files.

This one looks better but I'm not sure of the settings for those and I had the lighting and everything down better in this room and we've since moved and I'm trying to get the best possible quality I can get.

Just a thought, Tom. If you have a local community TV studio you might be able to get them to film for you in return for broadcasting your videos on their station. One of our local channels has a guy that does video lessons.

You are right. And going to 1080 and 24fps doesn't really make for much bigger files.

This one looks better but I'm not sure of the settings for those and I had the lighting and everything down better in this room and we've since moved and I'm trying to get the best possible quality I can get.

Yeah, the lighting difference between those is huge. It looks like you had some natural lighting (probably slightly diffused from blinds/curtains/etc) during golden hours and maybe some overhead lighting? The new video is very low light in comparison and I bet some of that turned into grain when the sensor started to struggle.

Back