Vibrato

rsadasiv

Burnin' Daylight
Share your techniques, where/when you use those techniques, and how happy you are with your results.

1) The BB Shake
Technique: fret the string, let go of the neck and shake from the elbow, pushing up and then down on the string.
Use: wherever BB would play it that way. Most frequently a whole note with the index finger on the high E.
Satisfaction: ok in that specific context. Too fast and anxious sounding for other settings. Strong tendency to ring sharp.

2) The Knuckler
Technique: rest your knuckle on the edge of the fretboard and rotate your wrist bask and forth so the finger moves down and then up.
Use: whole notes with the index finger not on the bottom string.
Satisfaction: more likely to stay around the center of the tone. Not a bad sound. Doesn't work on the high E or with other fingers.

3) The Waggle
Technique: fret the string and move your finger down and up
Use: frequent. works with non-index fingerings, most strings. Also good for double stops.
Satisfaction: meh. inconsistent across fingers. Not always a great sound. Frequently rings too wide around the tone.

4) The Wiggle
Technique: fret the string, let go of the neck and shake from the elbow, rolling your finger forward and backward on the string.
Use: frequent. Best with ring/pinkie. Too subtle for many rock/blues settings.
Satisfaction: ok. Stays in the center of the tone. Not a bad sound. Often too subtle to bother with.

I wiggle my fretted finger/s left to right. Works for me. Very mild. Seems natural. Never thought about it until now. Had to pick up my guitar to see.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Same action as turning a key in a lock -- a twisting motion from the wrist.

Vibrato speed can depend on song tempo, but should never be too slow/wide (I'm looking at you, Yngwie) or too fast/narrow (Angus, for instance). Just my opinion.

I have the hardest time being consistent doing vibrato on a 2-step bend. Sometimes it sounds great, and sometimes I get way off on the whole tone note. I guess it just needs more practice from me :embarrassed:

I envy Andy James:

I have the hardest time being consistent doing vibrato on a 2-step bend. Sometimes it sounds great, and sometimes I get way off on the whole tone note. I guess it just needs more practice from me :embarrassed:

I envy Andy James:

That's bad ass! What's the wrap by the headstock?

That's bad ass! What's the wrap by the headstock?

I think it's just a wrap of some sort that deadens the strings so he doesn't get any unwanted noise from strings he's not playing. Maybe it's even just a hair tie. I've noticed other guys use those when they are recording, too.

It really depends on my mood and the type of music I am playing.

1) The Violin - Side to side motion within the fret
2) The BB - Wicked left hand movement at a fast pace
3) The Zakk - Wilde bend with a larger interval. Usually fast and furious
4) The Pork Pie Hat - Slow movement similar to Jeff Beck
5) Standard - just a routine vibrato
6) The Thrust - Slow but very wide. May go up or down a whole step or more

I think it's just a wrap of some sort that deadens the strings so he doesn't get any unwanted noise from strings he's not playing. Maybe it's even just a hair tie. I've noticed other guys use those when they are recording, too.
Andy James, IIRC, uses a hair tie. It's for muting open string - not only when he's not playing.

Back