Very little volume, a little scratchy...update.

That what it was! :)

I swapped it with the 6v6 from my other amp, and now they both work. ???

Last edited:
That what it was! :)

I swapped it with the 6v6 from my other amp, and now they both work. ???
It could have been crud in the tube socket. Swap 'em back and see. It could also be a loose connector in the tube socket that needs to be retensioned.

That tube might be on its way out too - I'd recommend replacing it if it's all suspect.

It could have been crud in the tube socket. Swap 'em back and see. It could also be a loose connector in the tube socket that needs to be retensioned.

That tube might be on its way out too - I'd recommend replacing it if it's all suspect.
Cool, thanks for your help with this. :) I'll switch them back tonight to see if it works.

Cool, thanks for your help with this. :) I'll switch them back tonight to see if it works.
In looking up info on your amp, I see it's single ended cathode biased and can run multiple tube types. I'm just guessing, but I suspect it runs a 6v6 on the hot, to very hot end of the spectrum. I would say that the 6v6 you took out of the amp is probably at the end of its useful life. Sometimes a tube can go (redplate) and still work after it cools down. However, IMO, once a tube redplates, it's cooked and should be replaced. It's not worth the risk of it taking other components with it when it does finally go poof.

My new tube arrived today. I went with a TUNG-SOL instead if a JJ, as I read that it was supposed to be warmer. Totally accurate. This amp has never sounded so good. Thanks again for the advice guys. Saved a bunch of cash. :thu:

image.jpg

Back