Very little volume, a little scratchy...update.

Guitar Heel

Demented Trick
so my amp powers up, I can hear the click when I plug in, but the volume is extremely low and its a little scratchy. Is this most likely a tube issue, or something else?

Tubes are an easy test. Just pop in a good set and if the problem goes away you are golden. Are you plugging straight into the amp?

Good thoughts on the effects loop. If you do plug in the return and you have a decent signal, odds are the problem is either a bad preamp tube, or the effects loop jacks are dirty.

What brand/model amp is it?

Not plugging straight in, but not a pedal issue. I plug into my other amps with no issue.

No effects loop.

The interweb is saying maybe pre-amp tubes. I don't have extra ones. I guess I could steal some from another amp, but I know nothing about this stuff and don't want to mess anything up...

It's probably a tube. Remove and replace the preamp tubes with the same kind and test. It's easy to do, but if you're not comfortable doing it, find someone who is.

It's probably a tube. Remove and replace the preamp tubes with the same kind and test. It's easy to do, but if you're not comfortable doing it, find someone who is.
Cool, thanks. I'm fine with replacing them, as long I know the specs are the same. I'll take a pic and entertain suggestions for replacements. :)

I can't find much in the way of tech info about that amp. What I did find says it's a 6V6 single-ended amp with 12ax7 preamp tubes. It looks like it's cathode biased and can use 6V6, 6L6 or an EL34. Is there a rectifier tube? That may be an issue as well.

There's 2 tubes. This one, and a larger one.

image.jpg

Just about every tube amp you have will have a 12ax7 in it. Just pull one from another amp and pop it in there.

Just about every tube amp you have will have a 12ax7 in it. Just pull one from another amp and pop it in there.
Pretty much. Worse comes to worse even the oddballs will have a 12AT7, 12AU7, or a 12AY7, unless you get the rare 6SL7 based amp.

They're all the same, only different. :) they can, and do sound different, but operating parameter wise they are the same.

Back