Venus and the Pleiades

Nice. The streak in the middle one I'm guessing is a passing airplane but I'd go with aliens too

9189283.jpg

Which one is in the west sky at the beginning of the evening. My wife and I have been noticing how abnormally bright that one is.

Which one is in the west sky at the beginning of the evening. My wife and I have been noticing how abnormally bright that one is.

Venus.

IRL people who know I'm an astronomy buff ask me this kind of question a lot, and the answer is nearly always "Venus." Once in a while it is Jupiter though. :wink:

While I don't have a telescope, I do have Star Walk 2 on the iPad. It was the best $2.99 I've spent in a long time. When you unlock the compass you can hold it up to the sky and compare stars real time to know exactly what you are looking at in the sky.
(you can toggle the constellation images off)
image278.jpg

Astronomy/desktop planetarium apps (like Star Walk) are so cool. I learned the stars on my Mac in the 90s using a program that still exists as SkySafari, and on tablets they are even handier.

Back