Vegemite vs Marmite

DdBob

Dogue in teh desert
Australia/NZ vs the UK...if you will. Marmite was even a standard ration in WW1 for British soldiers.

The battle of Yeast extract. If you are unfamiliar with YE it is I'm sure a love or hate thing. I absolutely love both...salty, beef brothy goodness :love: also full of B vitamins, so minus the salt good for you.

To my palate I'd say it's pretty much a dead even tie with Teh Veg being perhaps a bit more tangy at the end, similar MOUTHFEEL to both and perhaps Mamite being a bit more salty on the top note.

Spreadability wise Teh Veg has a much easier spreadability. MM is quite a bit harder to spread. The veg is darker in color post spread and the MM is lighter with both being similar shade of brown in the jar. But oh that MM bottle....such a thing of beauty!

So which do you prefer?

Here i have the Veg on the left and the MM on the right

eat0

IMG_0160.JPG

I've only had the Aussie product. I didn't find it to be as awful as the detractors say, but I'm not a convert. No salty malty tar-like ooze on my toast, thanks...

I like them both. A little of either on a grilled cheese is some of the best beer mop food I've ever encountered.

My wife, a South African, prefers Marmite.

When we went to OZ i took my mates some grits and they gave us Vegemite. We both HATED each others gifts. The best thing about Vegemite was bringing packs of it home and watching my friends try it lol

ps There's also New Zealand Marmite. *spits*

screen_shot_2012-07-17_at_3.29.46_pm.png

I was gonna include Bovril as well but I think Bovril is a different thing. There was some controversy about it at one time and I believe they banned it from being imported. It's a beef based thing I think.

I've never had either :embarrassed:
really :eek: of all people I am really truly surprised. I think you need to correct it. Marmite you should be able to find readily , the Veg is supposedly harder to come by in the states. Of course Amazon carrys it all but I'm sure in Chi town your coner store carries it. FWIW I bought my last MM at whole foods and Vegemite at World Market.

It is awesome stuff I'm sure you'd dig it.

Back