Vegan Breakfast/Brunch ideas

Chicken Man

Kick Henry Jackassowski
My brother's girlfriend is coming over with the family in a few weeks for brunch to see the baby, and she's vegan(ish, I think she sometimes eats fish). We've done Mexican stuff (beans, tortillas, guac, salsa) and Mediterranian (falafel, hummus, pita, etc.)., so I'm looking to go in a different direction. I'm planning on doing traditional breakfast/brunch stuff (quiche, egg bake, or scrambled eggs, some sort of pig) for everyone else, but I'd like the vegan elements to blend into the spread, rather than just be a separate deal, as the rest of my family will want to try anything that's out of the ordinary. So I'm thinking latkes with applesauce, smoked salmon, and kale chips, but I'd like to get a few more things in there to round it out. Is actionsquid still around?

My wife took me to Whole Foods today...... After spending an hour or so shopping in there, I can't believe they didn't call that place "Bean Stalk Beans" as in Jack and his Magic...:annoyed:

So much of the shit is overpriced just because it says "organic" or "all natural" when I've seen many of the EXACT SAME PRODUCTS at Meijer or Super Target (for about 80% of the price).

When I tasted the stuff that they had samples of..... :messedup: If I had no other options to eat than that shit, I would never look forward to a meal. Ugh... cardboard with cream-of-grass.... and wash it down with organic pig sweat. :chow2:

Jeezus people.... you don't have to shop at Hippie-Dippie to get healthy food..... go to your local fucking farmer's market or deli. I get lunch at a deli during the week with cheeses and meats from regional farms and not only is it tasty, but it's cheaper than going to a fucking Applebees or Fridays. :baimun:

My brother's girlfriend is coming over with the family in a few weeks for brunch to see the baby, and she's vegan(ish, I think she sometimes eats fish). We've done Mexican stuff (beans, tortillas, guac, salsa) and Mediterranian (falafel, hummus, pita, etc.)., so I'm looking to go in a different direction. I'm planning on doing traditional breakfast/brunch stuff (quiche, egg bake, or scrambled eggs, some sort of pig) for everyone else, but I'd like the vegan elements to blend into the spread, rather than just be a separate deal, as the rest of my family will want to try anything that's out of the ordinary. So I'm thinking latkes with applesauce, smoked salmon, and kale chips, but I'd like to get a few more things in there to round it out. Is actionsquid still around?
Here I am! (now going by BATCAT) Hopefully not too late on this one…

You probably don’t want to go buy a whole book, but since the phrase “vegan brunch” came up I have to mention this cookbook that I love: http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Brunch-...8&qid=1393286345&sr=8-1&keywords=vegan+brunch

I could go on and on with vegan brunch ideas, but you’ve already given the meal some direction. Your idea about incorporating the vegan elements is solid and will probably mean less work too. One of my first thoughts is that everyone likes potatoes, so maybe some kind of oven potatoes with garlic and herbs?

Here’s a vegan quiche. I’ve made it before- kind of a lot of work but I loved it: http://www.theppk.com/2008/06/pot-luck-faux-pas-and-a-quiche/

Pancakes are easy, again I like Terry Hope Romero’s take- search for her “perfect puffy pancakes.”

You could also do some versions of savory grits…

Well, I think that's my menu. Plus all the antipasta stuff I got for a dinner party that got cancelled last weekend. Thanks.

Back