Using PA system to replace amps/monitors

godsky

Mr Fister
Howdy All,

Now i am back into playing again, i am looking at simplifying my studio setup.

I have a guitar amp, bass amp and a set of m-audio speakers used for monitoring/general use. But now i am thinking to simplify it with just a PA setup (preferably with powered speakers).

Has anyone had this setup? if so, should the speakers by at a minimum size (IE 12' or 15').

Sure. That would work fine, but you'd want to use a digital amp modeler before the PA, in the form of a pedal, iPad, or computer.

If you're going the pedal route, then PODs are common. I think that @micwalt uses a BOSS GT-8.

The guys at Sweetwater convinced me to try this, did 20 or so solo gigs with it, Boss GT8 , Dr880 drum machine, Stereo Looper with some of my backing tracks ready to go, and for some that wanted to sing, a few Sure mic's on stands, run computer in for music during breaks and yeah, the Bon Fire Gigs were born... The horns aren't like most PA systems that drill holes through your ear drums, this thing is warm sounding and with the parametric eq, you can hone in how much warmth you want...all at once without tweaking each channel ... I highly recommend this for solo gigs or even many band situations.. So easy to setup. I bought the stands separately.. Even I sounded good (son of fused actually went to one gig and said, dad you fn rocked it, that sounded good)... he doesn't usually complement the old guy ... it's just not a thing... Sweetwater told me, if I didn't like it, they's pay shipping for return no questions asked... They aren't getting it back... If I had to sum it up... the sound that I can achieve in my studio, I can achieve live... Yes it is that close and that good...

Sure. That would work fine, but you'd want to use a digital amp modeler before the PA, in the form of a pedal, iPad, or computer.

If you're going the pedal route, then PODs are common. I think that @micwalt uses a BOSS GT-8.
I do, indeed! But I run it through a Palmer PDI-09 passive direct box/speaker sim before it hits the board. Sounds very convincing. There are many other options nowadays, however. You just have to take the time to really dial in the desired sounds.

Thanks all.

I was looking at using BIAS on the iPad for the bass/guitar as I did find the sound quite good. Now just gotta find the right balance of PA speakers. Any brands I should avoid?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back