Using an extension speaker with my combo

PunkKitty

Horny bag of electric meat
My main amp is a Kustom Defender v15. The stock speaker is an 8 ohm Celestion. I'd like to use an extension cabinet while using the internal speaker. The cabinet also has an 8 ohm speaker. Can I just plug the extension into the extension speaker jack and not damage the amp? Or do I need to do something else?

I have the same question about my Kustom Defender v50. But that uses a 16 ohm internal speaker. Can I just set the switch to 16 ohms and plug in a 16 ohm extension cab so I can use both speakers at once?

FWIW, I found a schematic for that amp.

attachment.php

My main amp is a Kustom Defender v15. The stock speaker is an 8 ohm Celestion. I'd like to use an extension cabinet while using the internal speaker. The cabinet also has an 8 ohm speaker. Can I just plug the extension into the extension speaker jack and not damage the amp? Or do I need to do something else?

I have the same question about my Kustom Defender v50. But that uses a 16 ohm internal speaker. Can I just set the switch to 16 ohms and plug in a 16 ohm extension cab so I can use both speakers at once?

As your V15 has an 8ohm internal speaker, and your extension cab is 8ohms, you will get your most volume with the "Impedence selector" set at 4 ohms (8ohm + 8ohms = 4 ohms)...used by itself, the internal speaker should be set, on the Selector, to 8 ohms.

On your V50, the internal speaker, using by itself, set the Impedence Selector to 16ohms, with a 16 ohm extension cab, you'll want to set the selector to 8 ohms, and if you want to use an 8ohm extension cab, it's safest to set your selector to 4 ohms, otherwise you'll be replacing tubes more often, and the sound will suffer somewhat.

Back