Updated my pedalboard for how I've been using it live....

baimun

Funkasaurus Rex
I've gone from doing 90% acoustic to now using the electric for half of the show. The Flyrig has become my go-to so instead of having it loose in front of the board, I wanted it on the bottom row of the board since it's so small and low-profile, I knew it would be easy to step over.

526-1459054251-c6fb9d1f056cd071a2299f7ec0185a3f.jpg

It will be a little different having the vocal pedal up a little higher, but now that we have a keyboard player, I've been using the vocal harmonies less. Kevin sings better than the other guys in the band, and having the whole sound more fleshed out makes me feel like I don't have to try and change up the vocal sound as much.

It doesn't bother me turning the boost pedal sideways as it actually keeps the knob out of the way of my foot.

The signal goes Wah -> TurboTuner -> TC Spark mini Boost -> ABY -> then acoustic path goes Tonebone -> Boomerang in Loop -> Board .... while the Electric path goes -> Flyrig -> Mesa Rectoverb 25

The "tuner" out of the ABY feeds the vocal channel so it doesn't matter which path I'm using, the vocal pedal gets fed signal to adjust the vocal harmonies to the chords I'm playing.

Are you still liking the pedalboard you bought from my acquaintance?

Love the Boice Box..... In fact I have TWO!

My original is the smaller, flat one. My primary one (above) is extra wide and made without the jacks on the ends of the cable tray so I have more room to hide power cables. The top has his logo and the bottom has a Ron Jon surf sticker on it. :)

Last edited:
Baimun, could you say something about why you like the Tonebone PZ Pre. I have been considering the Fishman ToneDEQ, and just was wanting your take on the Tonebone. Cool pedalboard set up, and I may steal the layout concept. :thu:

I mainly got the Tonebone for it's plethora of features. I like that there are two inputs that each can have the Piezo booster on or off so you can set it for two different instruments in, or set it to blend. I leave it to blend, but don't use input #2. that way if someone joins us on stage, I can plug them into the second input and control it's volume from my pedal board.

What I don't like is that you have to choose between the loop or a solo boost. I say that because the center button can engage the loop, a solo boost, or when set to both it just adds a solo boost onto the end of the loop, which doesn't work when I'm trying to use the looper. I wish I could separate those and have the loop be on all the time and the boost be only a boost (and pre loop).

I also like that it has both a 1/4" out and two XLRs, one pre-EQ and one post-EQ. I use post-EQ live, but I could see how some might send pre-EQ to the board and post-EQ to a monitor or such. I use the 1/4" out for practice where we use a small amp intead of a PA.

I've actually contacted Tech 21 about their new Flyrig for Bass and asked them to consider doing a couple minor changes and making an Acoustic Flyrig. It would keep the compressor and boost, have the sansamp (but with revised EQ points), chorus and tuner, the XLR and 1/4 out, but change the octaver/fuzz to reverb/delay.

bassflyrig_front.jpg

If they make one of those, I'll use two flyrigs on my board in place of the Tonebone.

Love the Boice Box..... In fact I have TWO!

My original is the smaller, flat one. My primary one (above) is extra wide and made without the jacks on the ends of the cable tray so I have more room to hide power cables. The top has his logo and the bottom has a Ron Jon sued sticker on it. :)
I saw your FB post and tagged Peter's name on it so he could see your update. :)

I mainly got the Tonebone for it's plethora of features. I like that there are two inputs that each can have the Piezo booster on or off so you can set it for two different instruments in, or set it to blend. I leave it to blend, but don't use input #2. that way if someone joins us on stage, I can plug them into the second input and control it's volume from my pedal board.

What I don't like is that you have to choose between the loop or a solo boost. I say that because the center button can engage the loop, a solo boost, or when set to both it just adds a solo boost onto the end of the loop, which doesn't work when I'm trying to use the looper. I wish I could separate those and have the loop be on all the time and the boost be only a boost (and pre loop).

I also like that it has both a 1/4" out and two XLRs, one pre-EQ and one post-EQ. I use post-EQ live, but I could see how some might send pre-EQ to the board and post-EQ to a monitor or such. I use the 1/4" out for practice where we use a small amp intead of a PA.

I've actually contacted Tech 21 about their new Flyrig for Bass and asked them to consider doing a couple minor changes and making an Acoustic Flyrig. It would keep the compressor and boost, have the sansamp (but with revised EQ points), chorus and tuner, the XLR and 1/4 out, but change the octaver/fuzz to reverb/delay.

bassflyrig_front.jpg

If they make one of those, I'll use two flyrigs on my board in place of the Tonebone.

Thanks, I may have to keep my eye out for an acoustic FlyRig before I make a purchase.

I wouldn't hold your breath if you were looking soon. The bass fly rig doesn't even come out until early summer.

Yeah, that might be a bit of a long wait, then.

Guess I'll end up with something else, and then wish I had gotten the other . . . as usual. thwap0

Back