Forum Biz update on our server issues and whatnot...

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
Just to let y'all know I've just signed up at a new hosting company...this site won't most likely be moved until the end of June but at that point we'll be on new hardware with a better backup situation. The problem we had this week was exacerbated by the daily backup that we pay for not actually backing up things that apparently aren't very important. Like DATABASES. Luckily I had just run a manual backup of the forum database before I did the software upgrade so we are still in existence but the rest of our sites (premierschoolofmusic.com, markwein.com, markweinguitarlessons.com and lovehateguitar.com) are all unrecoverable toast. So much for spending $50 a month to protect against such inevitabilities. The new company actually does backups properly.

One small bonus is that our monthly bill is also going down a small amount from $169 to $150 a month. Yay :)

Mark, you'd be surprised how often that kind of shit goes on.

The last company I worked for had real issues backing up people's stuff. No issue charging them for it, though.

I had a client crash. (Their own fault, but that's beside the point). I went to the backup division and said I needed a copy of their data to restore, and they hadn't backed it up successfully in 2 months!

I asked them "Aren't they PAYING for us to back up their stuff?"
Yep.

Meanwhile, the client was screaming at me........and there was nothing I could do about it. Not my department.

The company lost that customer.....

And I got a new job.

Reactions: Tig
So its just meh news?
pretty much.
Mark, you'd be surprised how often that kind of shit goes on.

The last company I worked for had real issues backing up people's stuff. No issue charging them for it, though.

I had a client crash. (Their own fault, but that's beside the point). I went to the backup division and said I needed a copy of their data to restore, and they hadn't backed it up successfully in 2 months!

I asked them "Aren't they PAYING for us to back up their stuff?"
Yep.

Meanwhile, the client was screaming at me........and there was nothing I could do about it. Not my department.

The company lost that customer.....

And I got a new job.
this was the second chance. I paid for the backup for 5-6 months before realizing that they hadn't bothered to actually install it on my server. Got that all credited back to me. Now this. New server is already on and I'm working on the Premier music website first. The forum will be the last thing to move over because its such a complicated thing...DCF will do most of that. My other sites are all easy CMS sites that I can do myself as I have time. I guess everything needed a fresh coat of paint anyway :embarrassed:

pretty much.

this was the second chance. I paid for the backup for 5-6 months before realizing that they hadn't bothered to actually install it on my server. Got that all credited back to me. Now this. New server is already on and I'm working on the Premier music website first. The forum will be the last thing to move over because its such a complicated thing...DCF will do most of that. My other sites are all easy CMS sites that I can do myself as I have time. I guess everything needed a fresh coat of paint anyway :embarrassed:

Chin up.
That's all you can do in that situation......I feel your pain, though. Really do.

…but the rest of our sites (premierschoolofmusic.com, markwein.com, markweinguitarlessons.com and lovehateguitar.com) are all unrecoverable toast.

The Wayback Machine archived your site in March, so you can at least copy/paste the text back into the next site you build.

Consider your sites to Wordpress. There are some great backup plugins that will dump the entire site into a zip file and stick it your Dropbox account.

any chance you have local copies of all that content?
Between the way back machine and some stuff I have at premier I have most of the premier site where I can cut and paste verbiage but my lesson site just needs to be redone completely, as does my "artist" site.

Between the way back machine and some stuff I have at premier I have most of the premier site where I can cut and paste verbiage but my lesson site just needs to be redone completely, as does my "artist" site.

sonsabeech. :mad:

Back