Unreal... I received a guitar today shipped without a box!!!

The case protects the guitar. Cases cost a fair amount of bucks. What protects the case? Pricks in action.

Inversely, all the cheap stuff from china comes sans case in just a box. Actually come to think of it, most of the epiphone / squire stuff does too.

Again, just playing devils advocate. It's very likely the guitar is just fine.

I sense you do not believe in the power of the packing peanut.

I sense you do not believe in the power of the packing peanut.

Oh I do (even if I hate those buggers) especially bubble wrap and honey comb. That being said most people would just shove that case in a close fitting box and called it good. In that case 50/50 odds either way.

I have never done that but I have seen many shipped that way.

One thing I have done, which sounds worse, was to ship a guitar in a box but not in a case. I never thought that I would do that but that is how the guitar came to me from the manufacturer so that's how I sent it to the new owner when I sold it.

I finally got a chance to sit down with the guitar. Nothing fancy or crazy... It's an Ibanez rga121 loaded with Seymour Duncan Black Winter pickups. Here's a pic:

6CB903EF-E49B-4CE1-9564-A662F3727D78_1.jpg

Here's the bad:

I inspected the guitar after I took it out if the case. Seemed like there wasn't any major damage from shipping but there is a good amount of wear that the seller didn't disclose. There was some slight bumps and dings dispersed around the neck and body. The strings were completely rusted. The guitar was completely unplayable when I took it out of the case. I spent a good amount of time cleaning the fretboard I'm getting all the gunk off. After putting a new set of strings and lowering the action a bit she plays great.

However, the biggest letdown is that the electronics are messed up. When going between positions one and five, the guitar volume completely dropped out. I opened it up and the wiring looks funky. Kind of hard to follow. I emailed the seller about it and he said that The volume only dropped out on him once or twice. He never bothered to fix it because it didn't happen often. But for me, it was pretty bad.

Although I've gotten pretty handy with a soldering iron, I'm a dad of a 2 and a half year old and twin 4 month olds. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to take it apart and try to rewire it. I'm lucky if I get 20 min to play a week.

I got in touch with the seller and he refunded me a decent amount of cash from the original purchase. It's an inconvenience but I should be able to take it to a tech to sort out... Hopefully

All in all, I think she will be great. Once I get the electronics fixed up

I finally got a chance to sit down with the guitar. Nothing fancy or crazy... It's an Ibanez rga121 loaded with Seymour Duncan Black Winter pickups. Here's a pic:

6CB903EF-E49B-4CE1-9564-A662F3727D78_1.jpg

Here's the bad:

I inspected the guitar after I took it out if the case. Seemed like there wasn't any major damage from shipping but there is a good amount of wear that the seller didn't disclose. There was some slight bumps and dings dispersed around the neck and body. The strings were completely rusted. The guitar was completely unplayable when I took it out of the case. I spent a good amount of time cleaning the fretboard I'm getting all the gunk off. After putting a new set of strings and lowering the action a bit she plays great.

However, the biggest letdown is that the electronics are messed up. When going between positions one and five, the guitar volume completely dropped out. I opened it up and the wiring looks funky. Kind of hard to follow. I emailed the seller about it and he said that The volume only dropped out on him once or twice. He never bothered to fix it because it didn't happen often. But for me, it was pretty bad.

Although I've gotten pretty handy with a soldering iron, I'm a dad of a 2 and a half year old and twin 4 month olds. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to take it apart and try to rewire it. I'm lucky if I get 20 min to play a week.

I got in touch with the seller and he refunded me a decent amount of cash from the original purchase. It's an inconvenience but I should be able to take it to a tech to sort out... Hopefully

All in all, I think she will be great. Once I get the electronics fixed up
Looks like the Carvin you recently ordered.

I cannot BELIEVE that you bought not only a guitar that wasn't purple.....it doesn't even have purple pickups at the VERY least. :zoinks:

Looks like the Carvin you recently ordered.

Truth be told, I was thinking about it. I'm going to compare his to the Carvin when it arrives, if it holds up, I'll return the Carvin. If the Carvin is better than I'll just sell this.

If you time to play try playing Rocksmith while the twins stare at all the pretty lights. That's how I got through it with my baby boys.

Back