Help! Univibe vs. Phaser

Stratguy

Coffee Junky
I have a Boss PH-5 and an MXR Phase 90. I tend to use then very sparingly, but I'm listening to a lot of Pink Floyd lately, and I knew that David Gilmore used delay. Now, I'm reading about his use of a Univibe. Since I have 2 phaser pedals, I am trying to figure out the difference between a phaser and a Univibe. I saw the thread on the Korg Univibe, and it appears that the Univibe is combined chorus and phaser sound, is that correct? And if that's true, why a Univibe rather than just engaging a chorus and phaser?

I'm just trying to decide if there is another direction that I need to go, or if I should save the money.

A Univibe is a type of phase pedal. The difference in sound comes from the components. A chorus is a very short delay. You should be able to get close enough to the Univibe with a phase pedal. You'll never hit it exactly, but the question becomes how much do you really want to spend to get that next 10%?

Thanks HIAR, that does help. When I saw the thread on the Korg Univibe, I thought that I was missing something because it apparently incorporates a chorus sound. I thought maybe all Univibes had chorus in the sound.

Thanks HIAR, that does help. When I saw the thread on the Korg Univibe, I thought that I was missing something because it apparently incorporates a chorus sound. I thought maybe all Univibes had chorus in the sound.

It's not chorus because it's not a delay. One mode is just more wet than the other.

The Moog is nice, but not $499 nice. I'd consider a Dunlop Hendrix Univibe
http://www.samash.com/jimi-hendrix-...-univibe-phase-shifter-effect-pedal-djhm3ehtx

Or the EHX Univibe (likely the exact same circuit) for $129
http://www.samash.com/uni-vibe-chorus-vibrato-guitar-effects-pedal-mm68xxxxx

I have the Dunlop Hendrx Univibe. I payed $129. It is exactly the same as the MXR Univibe except for the Hendrix art work, like the one in your link. I don't know about the EHX, but the Dunlop/MXR sounds really good for the price and doesn't take much real estate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tig
Back