uhhhh... (ngd content)

Here's a question...

The pickups aren't original but I think I'll eventually get them. Everything else is 100% original. What does that do to the value?

(not that I'm going to sell it)

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Not having the original pickups hurts the value, but the guitar is clearly a player's grade instrument and not a museum piece, so I'm not sure how much it really impacts a price. Collector types open up guitars and look that the solder joints are original and other crazy details like that, so even putting the original pickups back in wouldn't satisfy some of the serious collectors. Obviously, having the originals would be great, as they belong to the guitar, but if I liked what was in it now I'd just leave it alone and enjoy it. You can put the originals back in if you managed to get them from your relative.

CBS era starts don't demand the premium of the earlier stuff, but they still have serious value. A heavily modded one I found (refinish, floyd route and repair, aftermarket pickups, tuner swap, etc) was around 4 grand, and a few different minty looking sunbursts were around 15K (with some oddball ones pushing 20K), so that gives you some ballpark.

Last edited:
Here's a question...

The pickups aren't original but I think I'll eventually get them. Everything else is 100% original. What does that do to the value?

(not that I'm going to sell it)

I'm afraid that not having the original pickups render it totally worthless. If you send it to me, I will be more than happy to give it a dignified burial so that you don't have to deal with the psychic shock...

Wow! Hope you really enjoy having & playing that. If I had that & were playing anywhere in public with it I'd have it insured.

I've always thought it a shame when an instrument is bought or handed down purely for investment. I think they kinda die a little, somehow.

Wow! Hope you really enjoy having & playing that. If I had that & were playing anywhere in public with it I'd have it insured.

I've always thought it a shame when an instrument is bought or handed down purely for investment. I think they kinda die a little, somehow.
Well that's why I asked the question about valuation. I'll take it to get appraised to insure it.

The conditions on receiving it is that it never leaves the family.

Back