uh oh...GAS strikes

Oh hell yeah!! Nice!

Sent from my Samsung Epic 4G via Tapatalk.

this is an experiment. i'm not thrilled with the way my Ric sounds with my Tube Zone. that pedal is more of a Marshall/Mesa thing, and it just sounds "unnatural" with the Ric. sounds great on everything else though. so we'll see how this works compared to my Rocket Drive.

interesting tidbit for cfgsteak: try putting an EHX LPB-1 in front of your Swollen Pickle. it should boost the mids slightly and drive the shit out of the pedal resulting in sonic annihilation.

interesting tidbit for cfgsteak: try putting an EHX LPB-1 in front of your Swollen Pickle. it should boost the mids slightly and drive the shit out of the pedal resulting in sonic annihilation.

Excellent! Will look into that pedal...I do love me some sonic annihilation!

Excellent! Will look into that pedal...I do love me some sonic annihilation!

worst thing that happens is that you use it as a solo boost after the pedal. kinda can't lose. especially if you find one used on CL for $15 like i did.

here's a hoof/colossus comparison:

http://thegearpage.net/board/showpost.php?p=10759931&postcount=43

The hoof is a great raw rock machine. Sort of part muff and part OD. It is bright, cutting and tight. It has some pretty sharp resonances but the shape knob & tone is there for some sculpting. On 'Shape' I find the extremes not useful but between 9 and 3 o' clock is all good territory. I like all those tones but in my case i have to back off on that tone knob. If you dime it on my rig you can kill a small animal with the treble. Really just a great rock and roll pedal. It is very rich and bright. Not as versatile as you would think with 4 knobs but what it does, it does really well. Super construction and shockingly low noise (though it is also a bit less gain that you would expect).

I hate to pigeon hole it but (for me) it is a great muffy OD. It didn't though satisfy my muff needs (snicker snicker). I keep telling myself I should flip it but when i plug it in it just sounds so good. I know I am just keeping it. Very unique pedal. The character of the OD is stellar, beautiful actually. I think it must be that hybrid Si/Ge/LED biz that makes it sound so good on the decay.

The Colossus is a genuine premium muff pedal but with many more tone shaping possibilities and more gain than the Hoof. It also has more bass and the ability to get genuinely wooly (which the hoof just doesn't really do well). You can get a lot of classic muff tones and if you mid hump it and brighten & turn down the gain you can get kind of in the Hoof territory. The Colossus is versatile and a really solid all around muff. It made me feel like it was 1978 again in some settings. The Colossus did scratch the muff itch. It is going on the board. It is a great pedal.

-k

Back